Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
day I got the gold - water was rough but got in anyways - viz was poor winds were high
cant seem to get a break this year as far as weather goes - lots of high wind days - tough for someone that does not live near the ocean
I try using computer sites and they are always wrong - they will say 5-10 mph and end up 10-20 with gust around 30
and this is using like 5 sites most times - they aint got it right yet
so couple of hrs in pounded spot - I went way out and was surprised I got silver toe ring and then about 10 feet away got the old gold
got 3 musketballs - one is rifle - the other 2 I think are pistol balls - couple of wheats and a sil. war nickle
at least I got in
CasN0733.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even though I got musketballs from this spot - not to be confused with spot I hit yesterday - that spot is 1 1/2 hrs away from here

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...the larger musketball I gave to a boy that wanted to see my finds and thought it was cool
told him its from 1700s or late 1800s most likely

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, how deep are you working. I've seen pics of you, you would only come up to my nipples. lol. So, you working deep may not be deep at all to me.
Seriously, I'm 6'6" and have been working to my armpits, I usually have to come in to mid chest/stomach to start finding targets. This is fresh water though which is easier to read (no tides).
Hopefully will get into the salt tomorrow.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
think i'd come up to your chin
plus if I'm wear mask and snorkel - - I can hit in waters 6 1/2 feet deep
plus if I use my hookah or my snuba - can go to 30 feet
I hunt at spots that guys wear waders and hunt to nipple deep - even those I know that wear
wet suits - don't like wearing mask - so usually will only go shoulder deep
with mask and snorkel I can stay out after low longer than most - lot of areas I hit - there are areas
with deep troughs that are shallower once you get over them - what I'm saying is
you step in and after 40 yards you are chin deep (when calm - over your head when rough)- but if you go another 10 yards - you are waist deep again
and can go out another 100 yrds - but i'm one of the only ones that knows this - also these spots are beyond the swim buoys
reason I don't get fresh drops - most guys hit within the buoys for the fresh drops - I hit well beyond them because I know when I was younger
they were farther out and when I was a kid - they never had them and people swam out where I go now
I don't have the competition out there - but I also don't get the fresh drops that the others enjoy - and give up the greater amounts of gold usually
they may get - but I got into this for the hobby - not for the gold and profits

Casper, how deep are you working. I've seen pics of you, you would only come up to my nipples. lol. So, you working deep may not be deep at all to me.
Seriously, I'm 6'6" and have been working to my armpits, I usually have to come in to mid chest/stomach to start finding targets. This is fresh water though which is easier to read (no tides).

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about 100 yrds from shore in this pic
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/20334330570/in/dateposted-public/
about 30 yards from shore there is a trough at low and its about 6 feet deep - a few yrs ago with clear viz I was
on my tip toes and could see it slanted a few more feet to prob 7 feet and then angled back up - I managed to jump over it and then was able to hunt out farther
way out farther and discovered a small virtually untouched area - but others have tried and failed because they are shorter than I am - or wont use a mask
and you can not stay out long after low or your could be screwed - so limited working time - lot of stuff is in the 2 foot range that makes hunting even harder
another spot I do good at that's been pounded - has huge blow out holes in between sea grass beds - has troughs made by boat propellers too that can be deep if you don't see them - have seen guys see me out far and head out towards me with wadders and I shake my head cause I can count to 10 and ...zip ..under they go
even guys when waters are warm wearing bathing suits will do the same thing - in close is hammered clean - they see me way out digging and start my way
..zip under they go and wonder how I'm out there in waist deep water ..you got to know the beach - the sea grass beds here can be only in 3 feet of water at low - but step off into the sand holes - which is where the good stuff is trapped and your in 5- 6 feet of water and that's at exact low - hour later and seagrass beds are 5 feet and pockets and troughs are over your head
once again viz is pretty important - wearing a mask and snorkel can make all the difference in the world
these spots been pounded by locals for the last 20 yrs - I live 2 1/2 hrs away and have gotten tons of silver coins they could not get and handful of gold too in the last few yrs
by hunting the way I do - thing is - these far out spots do not hold fresh drops and slowly are producing less and less - i'll have to dive to get out farther or find new spots - or head in and hunt for the new stuff - but up here - beaches are only open from memorial day to labor day - so you are only going to see fresh drops for a short time unlike the southern guys who can get them year round

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread