Freediving with metal detector - how much weight do you use in shallow waters?

gusku

Greenie
Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, today i tried for the first time freediving with a metal detector. As I am quite inexperienced with freediving i kept to depths from 2-8 feet, but was getting problems staying down at the bottom because of too much buoyancy, so i was mostly just snorkeling around where i could reach the bottom from the surface. Even with 22 lbs i was floating because of thick suit

How much led do you guys use, if there is anyone here freediving- metal detecting at all? What keep me from adding more led is I`ve heard freediving with so much weight that you are sinking while on surface is a big no no, because if you blackout you wont float to the surface.

So whats common practice? Im tempted to put on so much that I slowly sink at surface, but too dangerous? Not much stones to hold on to where i go diving either. Or should I just forget it all and go buy scuba gear? :unhappysmiley:

Cant find much content about freediving with metal detector around here so if you know about any good threads/guides I have missed I would really appreciate a few links! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You use enough... Till YOU sink... not me :P

Everyone's weight "need" differs.

PS... not that you aren't... but I have seen many NOT do this.., Be sure to use a good quick release buckle ALWAYS.

Most important part of the weight belt.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason you don't see it - is because is dangerous -
you say you are inexperienced - then don't do it
I use a snorkel and walk out as far as I can with it - I don't wear weight - I consider myself an excellent snorkeler - I used to do a lot of underwater photography before I
did underwater detecting - I consider my self a good swimmer - that being said
ive had some close calls with rip tides and one time getting tangled in some serious fishing line in rough waters and if it wasn't for my good snorkeling skills
I would have drowned
I don't wear weight except when using my hookah or my snuba so I can stay on bottom - and I use a belt with quick release and carry a spare air tank
you want to do deeper water hunting - get certified and go with scuba - snuba or hookah
gold is not worth risking your life for

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, today i tried for the first time freediving with a metal detector. As I am quite inexperienced with freediving i kept to depths from 2-8 feet, but was getting problems staying down at the bottom because of too much buoyancy, so i was mostly just snorkeling around where i could reach the bottom from the surface. Even with 22 lbs i was floating because of thick suit

How much led do you guys use, if there is anyone here freediving- metal detecting at all? What keep me from adding more led is I`ve heard freediving with so much weight that you are sinking while on surface is a big no no, because if you blackout you wont float to the surface.

So whats common practice? Im tempted to put on so much that I slowly sink at surface, but too dangerous? Not much stones to hold on to where i go diving either. Or should I just forget it all and go buy scuba gear? :unhappysmiley:

Cant find much content about freediving with metal detector around here so if you know about any good threads/guides I have missed I would really appreciate a few links! :)

I have friends who snorkel and they use 40 lb dive belts...... They are only doing shadow waters so they can stand up and breath if there is an emergency.... Free diving doesnt give you enough time before you have to take in some air so snorkel is better....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Dive down, sweep the coil. Find a target.

Surface: breathe.

Go back down, realize you are off target, sweep the coil. Find the target.

Come back up for a breath.

Go back down, realize you drifted off target, hunt, maybe hear the beep again, maybe not.

Come back up...

Repeat-

Repeat-

Repeat-

Return to shore wore slap out with, but probably without, that elusive unknown target.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything Casper said, he's got the experience and knows what he's talking about. I consider myself a decent swimmer, snorkler and have a lot of hours logged SCUBA diving but safety is number one. I stopped scuba diving several years ago due to disabilities except in certain situations and conditions. When you add any equipment such as metal detectors, cameras and etc. the risks go up. I wouldn't dream of strapping on any amount of weight to hold me under without an air supply and at least a partner close by, but that's me. I don't know if the rules have changed any, so I would find out for yourself but if you're determined to wear weights I would make sure the weight belt is the last piece of equipment you put on so it won't be under anything else such as goodie bags, detectors, if waist mounted etc. so if you do have to make an emergency surface the weight belt will immediately fall free and not get stuck under any of your equipment. It would be a sinking feeling, no pun intended, to release your weight belt and it stay there and not fall free. That's just my thoughts. Good luck and stay safe.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM with article I wrote

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason you don't see it - is because is dangerous -
you say you are inexperienced - then don't do it
I use a snorkel and walk out as far as I can with it - I don't wear weight - I consider myself an excellent snorkeler - I used to do a lot of underwater photography before I
did underwater detecting - I consider my self a good swimmer - that being said
ive had some close calls with rip tides and one time getting tangled in some serious fishing line in rough waters and if it wasn't for my good snorkeling skills
I would have drowned
I don't wear weight except when using my hookah or my snuba so I can stay on bottom - and I use a belt with quick release and carry a spare air tank
you want to do deeper water hunting - get certified and go with scuba - snuba or hookah
gold is not worth risking your life for

I have been free diving for 30 years. I still free dive for pay every year collecting sea biscuts, queen and king helmets, milk conch, cowery shells and other shells that collecters buy. I use 2-8 pounds. Metal detecting I use no weight if im snorkeling. I have mastered a stand on your head/walk on yor hands digging/ fanning technique. After 5-6 feet of water I can no longer swim horizontally on the surface with my snorkel out of the water ,and reach the bottom with my coil. ! ! After that I switch to scuba or hooka. I use much more weight when using scuba/hooka depending on conditions and how much gear I have. 2-8pounds allow me to decend with very little effort, I kick once or twice and glide the rest of the way down conserving my energy/air for working on the bottom and my ascent. Dont even think about it as a novice. Start in shallow water and practice. I only use weight when free diving to depths of 10 -40 feet. And thats only for shell diving, lobster fishing, and spear fishing. Freediving and snorkelng are kinda 2 different things. Trying to snorkel with 22 pounds of lead is dangerous. Dont confuse wading and snorkeling. I dont free dive with metal detector, I wade from 1-3 feet then, I snorkel from 3-6, and at 7-9 feet its scuba time. Hope that helps a little. know what your limits are in the water and dont push it too far. Remember wading, snorkeling, Freediving, and scuba diving are all different things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread