game over man

Oct 14, 2014
SE WI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F5,Fisher CZ-21,Teknetics Mark III
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Leaving with the family for a central California vacation late next week for 9 days. I have never hunted the beaches in California just a little in Florida . Any tips regarding beaches and techniques would be appreciated , I have a low tide chart to use but with family vacations you kind of go detecting when you can, even if it is not the ideal time. I will be using my cz-21 .Thanks for the advice,and everyone have a safe and fun fourth of July in this great country of ours.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The water is a little colder than down here in SoCal so not as many swimmers. I wouldn't let that stop me from chasing the tides to see if I can get lucky. Hunting in the water is a challenge most days due to the rough surf (unlike Florida where it's easier to be in the water).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
med_662355227edf550dbc.gif

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old area so could find wide range of items. Water hunting not so much with big waves. I would hit wet sand at low tide. Probably sanded but might find erosion. Even high up the beach along the cliffs could be finds. Pretty area and enjoy time with the family

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some old things at San Simeon beach (Hearst's beach) north of the pier. Old boat parts, old ring, brass old record center, winchester rifle cartridges. No old coins though but I didnt go low tide or venture out into the water.
Had good luck at Cayucos beach - ring and for some reason a lot of quarters.
Didn't try any beaches in the Cambria/moonstone area. There is an old park across the highway from Cambria - north end- that had lots of targets but I'm not a park hunter so I didn't dig anything up.
Let me know what you find and if you discover some new areas to try. My wife likes the area so we go a couple times a year.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you find some beach goodies, but more than that enjoy a beautiful part of our state! :occasion14:

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some old things at San Simeon beach (Hearst's beach) north of the pier. Old boat parts, old ring, brass old record center, winchester rifle cartridges. No old coins though but I didnt go low tide or venture out into the water.
Had good luck at Cayucos beach - ring and for some reason a lot of quarters.
Didn't try any beaches in the Cambria/moonstone area. There is an old park across the highway from Cambria - north end- that had lots of targets but I'm not a park hunter so I didn't dig anything up.
Let me know what you find and if you discover some new areas to try. My wife likes the area so we go a couple times a year.

I've hunted Cayucos and San Simeon Pier North side many times with some great finds. San Simeon especially at low tide or back up against the cliff anytime. Gold and Silver rings, Silver coins, Buffalo nickels, old wheats, Silver charms, WW1 Military button. DO NOT DETECT Right next to the pier...YOU MUST STAY NORTH OF THE LITTLE CREEK NEXT TO THE KAYAK RENTAL SPACE...I've been warned nicely, twice, by the Rangers. Moonstone Beach area don't waste your time.....You can even go up into the Eucalyptus Tree Forest @ San Simeon and hunt the upper cliff areas...trail right off the beach. Check some of my post for some pics and stories :)

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WC, how often you go up there? Do you go because the wife wants to see things or on your own?
Did you have good luck by that school on San Simeon beach?
It would be cool to plan trips same time and see how we do.
Could do down here too - I'm in OC...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread