Great Plans, Results Not So Much

kazeej

Greenie
May 2, 2016
South Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had this great plan to go to one of the local beaches the morning after the 4th. The beach was packed all weekend - I kept checking a web cam that showed the area I wanted to detect. And most of the people were still there for the fireworks later. The beach was absolutely crowded. I was gonna find all kinds of stuff!

I got there before sun-up, and started swinging. It took 5 hours to work an area about the size of a football field. Every few feet was another target. I wound up with about 8,000 bottle caps, 48 cents in coins, and some assorted stuff - sparklers, tent stakes, foil wrappers, and some other stuff that I won't name. What some people do on the beach at night is just sickening.

Not the way I had hoped the hunt would turn out, but it kept me off the streets for a while.

I hope everyone had a great 4th!

Upvote 0

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that you can also go out ,expect little and end up with a great find. Seems to be the nature of what we do. Don't give up.

OP
OP
K

kazeej

Greenie
May 2, 2016
South Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind that you can also go out ,expect little and end up with a great find. Seems to be the nature of what we do. Don't give up.

Absolutely. I have no complaints. It was a great way to spend the morning, and I left the beach a little cleaner. Speaking of that, I was impressed that there was almost no trash on the beach. There were a few plastic cups and a few random things, but considering how many people were there just a few hours before, the beach was very clean.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Expectation is the father of disappointment. In this game, it pays to keep them low.

You'll bounce.

Bet you don't complain when you find multiple gold/silver items in one outing. :sunny:

Experience gained is treasure that can't be lost.

Get back out there.:occasion14:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you using?

OP
OP
K

kazeej

Greenie
May 2, 2016
South Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Expectation is the father of disappointment. In this game, it pays to keep them low.
You'll bounce.
Bet you don't complain when you find multiple gold/silver items in one outing. :sunny:
Experience gained is treasure that can't be lost.
Get back out there.:occasion14:

You're absolutely right. Just getting out on the beach for a while does me a lot of good. And this was the first time I was out for more than an hour or so. I learned a lot about my detector, and how to make some adjustments, read its tones, etc.

Experience gained is treasure that can't be lost - I like that.

Happy hunting!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Garrett Ace 400.
Not sure if it will work with the Ace...with the AT pro when your swinging over a bottle cap, if you start bringing the coil back while your swinging, the last tone you get will be a low tone letting you know its a bottle cap...I dig most jumpy signals but hen Im in an area with lots of bottle caps, I will start leaving them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely. I have no complaints. It was a great way to spend the morning, and I left the beach a little cleaner. Speaking of that, I was impressed that there was almost no trash on the beach. There were a few plastic cups and a few random things, but considering how many people were there just a few hours before, the beach was very clean.
I guess all the human pigs came to our beaches! I hunted a couple of different ones in the wee hours of the 5th and the 6th and was appalled by all the trash left there. Hundreds of cans and bottles (both plastic and glass), dozens of flip flops and towels, over a dozen beach chairs, a few pop-up tent frames, wrappers by the thousand, clothing, partially eaten food and garbage, etc......just incredible.

OP
OP
K

kazeej

Greenie
May 2, 2016
South Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if it will work with the Ace...with the AT pro when your swinging over a bottle cap, if you start bringing the coil back while your swinging, the last tone you get will be a low tone letting you know its a bottle cap...I dig most jumpy signals but hen Im in an area with lots of bottle caps, I will start leaving them.

The 400 has an Iron Audio feature you can turn on. It will add a low grunt to the end of the tone when it detects iron in the target, even when it's ringing higher. I played around with it, and it was pretty consistent on the bottle caps. I'm still new at this, so I'm digging everything anyway, but I was impressed with this feature. I'll try your suggestion the next time I'm out, too. Thanks for the advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread