Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been trying the beach hunting at a beach/lake here in Michigan I have the AT PRO waterproof head phones and pointer I ground balanced in the water turn sensitivity down a notch sometimes 2 notches I got a lot of low vdi signals 10 25 ect I would find a target scoop the spot nothing than rescanned and nothing ,The vdi readings would hit an 82 then fluxuate not solid I guess I need a lot more practice I live in Michigan any setting tips would be very appreciated Thanks Tommy

Upvote 0

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive been trying the beach hunting at a beach/lake here in Michigan I have the AT PRO waterproof head phones and pointer I ground balanced in the water turn sensitivity down a notch sometimes 2 notches I got a lot of low vdi signals 10 25 ect I would find a target scoop the spot nothing than rescanned and nothing ,The vdi readings would hit an 82 then fluxuate not solid I guess I need a lot more practice I live in Michigan any setting tips would be very appreciated Thanks Tommy

try to manual ground balance and take it down until it's calm. Drop your sensitivity a notch.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ill try that I never thought about lowering the ground balance till chatter stops great idea I have been lowering sensitivity and turning discrimination higher Thanks for the hel I bet that will be good an land also so simple just never thought about it

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU CRANK DISCRIM. AND LOWER SENS. - = Good bye smaller gold :BangHead:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt in standard coin mode with 3/4 sensitivity, rarely have problems. Going pro mode gives alot of extra chatter I can do without, but sure it is more sensitive in that mode. If I can wave my silver ring 6 inches in front of it and get a good beep, I'm happy ,,, And if I sacrifice a small gold stud here and there because of it, I'm willing to live with that.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to tape your coil wire about 3 inches from the coil and several places up the shaft...when I first started water hunting I was about to send mine to the shop until I taped the wire....it was like I had a different machine...no more falsing...use standard mode until you get comfortable with water hunting.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi skippy I tried the discrimination around 25 to avoid those chirp signals but not too much to not get gold I guess I might have expected more strong hard signals I think maybe the water is more void of solid tagets than I expected and when I got those bouncing vdi numbers I was thinking it might be a target and because I'm in water my detector was acting different I have always just used pro mode thousands of hours In wonder if I'm missing stuff by never trying any other mode is standard easier to start water hunting I'm very open to all ideas Thanks

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why standard mode? If he's familiar with Pro mode, what's the value of running to standard in freshwater (maybe I'm missing something here... Not a challenge, an inquiry).

Skippy
Just more stable for someone who isn't used to machine...his post below says he is experienced so he should have no trouble using pro mode in the water...mine was stable on land but noisy in the water until I taped the coil wire good.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
In the fresh water I run pro zero, iron disc 30, max sensitivity. Do not notch anything out! Check questionable targets with iron audio. That being said, it is wise to dig every target in the water. Sometimes a big aluminum can mask a gold ring and beside it saves a foot. To test, take a few rings with you to the lake....in the shallows (about a foot deep), stuff a couple varieties of rings a couple inches into the sand. Listen to each one and their unique characteristics.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remove the coil protector and try it out at the same beach

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried a hammer? Two or three good whacks should solve your problems. :laughing7:

Kidding folks. :thumbsup: :skullflag:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the fresh water I run pro zero, iron disc 30, max sensitivity. Do not notch anything out! Check questionable targets with iron audio. That being said, it is wise to dig every target in the water. Sometimes a big aluminum can mask a gold ring and beside it saves a foot. To test, take a few rings with you to the lake....in the shallows (about a foot deep), stuff a couple varieties of rings a couple inches into the sand. Listen to each one and their unique characteristics.

Good suggestion but tie a string onto each ring as ATP might not find it. Personally I use a Excal or Tiger Shark. The Excal will report on a coin or gold ring under a railroad spike. True, test it.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread