River and water detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stainless steel holds up better in rivers and streams with rocks / cobble.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOME OF THE RIVERS IVE HIT - ROCKS AS BIG AS YOUR HEAD - SO NO SCOOP IS GOOD - MASK AND SNORKEL AND FANNING - MAYBE A GOOD KNIFE
I have broken welds on stainless scoops - I use heavy aluminum RTG long handled big basket for every thing else - I had a sharp lip added to mine
and have the travel model - 2 piece - take it around the world with me

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT KIND OF RIVER BOTTOMS?
HERE IS ONE OF MINE - NO SCOOPIN HERE - THIS WAS COOL - USING MASK AND SNORKEL
DROPPED DOWN AND FANNED - CLAD QUARTER AND SILVER ONE WEDGE TOGETHER IN ROCKS

ANOTHER RIVERS BOTTOM
COINS ARE FOUND IN BETWEEN THE ROCKS

THIS IS A STREAM - YOU CAN SEE THE ROCKS IM WORKING IN - THIS WAS A POPULAR SWIM SPOT FOR YRS - GOT A 1901 IH PENNY HERE - BUFFALOS AND SILVER
OTHERS GOT ALL THE EASY STUFF - I WENT FOR THE HARDER TO GET TARGETS - MOVED A LOT OF ROCK - PULLED ALOT OF COINAGE OUT OF THERE TOO

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, how do you hunt a pond with the same rock formations as your river? A river will wash away the silt as you go, but the pond I went to yesterday is crystal clear....until I touch the bottom, then it's a huge cloud of silt under the 1" or so of weed. 0% visibility with snorkel and very difficult to use scoop due to the large rocks, which of course you can't see until the scoop hits them.
I managed just .56 cents w/15 coins and a handful of poptops in 2.5 hrs, so I'm sure it's virgin water, but soooo difficult to hunt.
A vacuum sucking the targets onto a sifter would be ideal.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do ponds usually and most that I have in past have under water springs or are fed from a stream or under ground waters that cause some sort of current
others I know that hunts spots like youre talkin bout - they will drop down and fan and check and fan and feel around until they get it - no one said its easy
I work my butt off in the rocks - you can use a under pin pointer too to help

Casper, how do you hunt a pond with the same rock formations as your river? A river will wash away the silt as you go, but the pond I went to yesterday is crystal clear....until I touch the bottom, then it's a huge cloud of silt under the 1" or so of weed. 0% visibility with snorkel and very difficult to use scoop due to the large rocks, which of course you can't see until the scoop hits them.
I managed just .56 cents w/15 coins and a handful of poptops in 2.5 hrs, so I'm sure it's virgin water, but soooo difficult to hunt.
A vacuum sucking the targets onto a sifter would be ideal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help me out with some sort of scoop to use when river hunting. This will also be used when at the beach. Can i use just a normal long or med size handle metal scoop? I have never river or stream hunted before?
As long as the rocks aren't huge, I'd get a quality built stainless scoop, such as the Stealth 720i made by Sunspot. If you do a lot of prying with it, it will eventually fail....usually at the bottom of the scoop from being caved in by levering against another rock. You could reinforce that area, as I have done, and make it virtually bullet proof. It does make it pretty heavy, but, after a few hunts, your arm gets fairly used to it. Here's what I did to mine.....

Attachments

• 100_1427.jpg
    100_1427.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How to hunt a silty river or lake while snorkeling or diving. I carry two mesh bags.

One for my finds. The other one is used when I find a target in the muck or silt I carefully pick up handfuls of it and wave them in front of the coil. When the target is in my hand I put the whole handful in the empty bag. I hold the top shut and swish it in the water. Then I take the target out and put it in the finds bag. The bags I use are 6" x9" from XS scuba. P/N BG570.

Not made anymore but if you google them you can still find them.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem I have is the water visibility in some of these places is terrible. Hope you don't flush a snake from under those rocks, Casper.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here unless it is a pond the rivers and streams are very clean. unless it has just rained then they get muddy but clean out very quick.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Only problem I have is the water visibility in some of these places is terrible. Hope you don't flush a snake from under those rocks, Casper.

You don't need to see. All it takes is practice to know exactly where your coil is. I have it down to a science.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread