TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi guys,

I wonder if you have any tips to share for dealing with the sun and heat while detecting. My own secret tip would probably be to get one of these water bladder backpacks, I have a Camelbak Mule and it's so much more convenient to stay hydrated when you don't have to keep grabbing a bottle or getting the backpack off. Granted it looks a bit stupid, but then again I'm walking along the beach sweeping a coil over the ground so :dontknow:

So what do you do against the heat? Light coloured, loose fitting clothes and a sombrero the size of a restaurant umbrella?

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm off the beach by 10am and not back on before 6pm.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Detecting at night time ?? :laughing7:

Or... in the middle of the afternoon, wet sand, beach is not crowded, no sunburn...... cool metal detection session @-100ft ! :toothy2:

86518720160608garrett1.jpg

83348420160608garrett3.jpg

31114920160608garrett5.jpg

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go Early in the morning or late in the evening or better yet...night time only. Stay out of the sun! If you feel you have to be in the sun...cover up from head to toe. looking like you just stumbled in from the saudi desert is not a bad thing.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hit the beach it is dark turning light if I can time it right.

When I start to cook... Or crowds begin... I leave.

Also... Sunset for an hour... but not as much in summer.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Long sleeve Dry Wick shirts, light weight Swim Trunks, White Baseball Cap, Mission Multi-Cool neck wrap and Drink 2 liters of H2O before hitting the beach. I'm good for 4 hours...

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All sound advice, now if only I could get out of bed early :coffee2:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Wet my clothes/hat with water. Any breeze blowing through wet clothes keeps me cool enough in the heat. And avoid direst sun mid-day.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrrrg.

Its funny... I see cooked tourists all the time.

But the scale tippers on sunburns are the passed out drunks on the beach that occasionally are a speed bump in the sand.
More than once I feel I have saved a guys life simply by waking them.
Red as lobsters.
One guy I thought for sure was dead...
He had pissed himself and all.

ALL were severely cooked. I mean WELL done.

Worst thing to do is to pass out in the sun. sheesh.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Arrrrg.

Its funny... I see cooked tourists all the time.

But the scale tippers on sunburns are the passed out drunks on the beach that occasionally are a speed bump in the sand.
More than once I feel I have saved a guys life simply by waking them.
Red as lobsters.
One guy I thought for sure was dead...
He had pissed himself and all.

ALL were severely cooked. I mean WELL done.

Oh yeah I know that kind. "Look ma, no shirt" and they still look as if they are wearing their favourite red tshirt. Over here in Germany it's the British that love doing that.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

I was 14 and walking the beach looking at people. I had seen a drunk passed out with his junk hanging out. I got in the water and kept an eye on him for over three hours until I caught him walking bow-legged and gingerly towards the parking lot.

I wonder how bad he peeled. :laughing9:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst I ever saw was a red headed guy passed out on the beach in the late afternoon. He must have been that way all day as he already had 2nd degree blisters on his exposed skin. It looked so painful that I didn't even want to touch him to wake him up, so, I dripped some water from my drinking bottle onto his head. He sputtered to life and immediately went into spread eagle walking mode with that "don't even think about touching me" mode. When he came to his senses, he thanked me and hobbled off. If he didn't peel at least 3 times, that would surprise me. He was in for a painful week or more with those burns. I like to hunt at night in the dead of summer, but, that isn't always possible with some of my hunting buddies or some of our hunting spots, so, if I have to hunt in the sun, I use lots of sunscreen, a hat, and bring plenty of water.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You must have never been to Florida ... heh

Or to the US in fact :) I'm still confused by the guy who talked to me while I was bagging up my detector the other day who first asked "what is that machine" and then "oh interesting. So do you eat meat?" I say yes, he agrees that meat tastes just fine and he eats a lot, then tells me about this youtube channel of a guy with a beard travelling around the world on a vegan diet and if I make sure to only eat biological food.
I still don't get how he thought that was a good conversation to have with a stranger or what he was trying to tell me, just that despite my detector I wasn't the weirdest person around from one second to the next.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the type of hat I wear
hat.jpg
I know that it makes me look like a goofy,
But hay I swinging a Metal Detector on the beach, so I already look goofy to the people out there, but I stop caring how I looked to other people when I turned 23 (that's when I got married)!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to stay about neck deep in the water, with sunscreen on my face, collared shirt, sunglasses, and a hat.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
German coast: north sea or Baltic should be a problem for the sun.... rain protection is maybe more of an interest over there... :laughing7:

But concerning metal detection spots, Friesland should be very productive, a lot of :3barsgold: over there since a verryyyy loooonnnngggg time.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread