The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a chance to go down for a couple of days and spent a few hours (~5) at a couple of beaches. Some finds for the time spent, but no goodies, unless you count gold plated beads :icon_scratch:.

South Padre, as I learned, is known for their sand castle sand - part mud it seems. The wet sand is pretty hard and the goods may sit on the surface long enough to be spotted, or they get sluiced out to sea.

I tried in the surf, the wet and the dry. Surf was nothing, wet was coins only with no pull tabs, dry was everything else with plenty of pull tabs. Never saw another detectorist the whole time. Lots of people. Weird. I did check the legality and was told no problem. Probably just need to pay your dues and put in the time. Pull tabs were a consistent 12-15 double-beep with orientation-related variations, but I dug pretty much all of them.

Used the Excal II in the surf, E-Trac the rest of the time, not much discrimination, as high as I could go on sensitivity without much falsing.

south_padre_sunrise_1.png

south_padre_sunrise_2.png

south_padre_beach_1.png

south_padre_beach_2.png

south_padre_finds.png

HH!
Beep

Upvote 0

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking beach,,,,nice pics and good finds :thumbsup:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice looking beach and pictures!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics & finds Beep !

Good to see you back :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Ah! You were in my part of the country! I am 60 miles from there. However, I do not hunt 'The Island'. You did OK on the hunt. You may not have seen any others with detectors but I can tell you that they are there. There are several regulars that hunt almost every day. They do hunt early. One starts at 4:00AM and is finished around sun up. Several in our club hunt there often.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah! You were in my part of the country! I am 60 miles from there. However, I do not hunt 'The Island'. You did OK on the hunt. You may not have seen any others with detectors but I can tell you that they are there. There are several regulars that hunt almost every day. They do hunt early. One starts at 4:00AM and is finished around sun up. Several in our club hunt there often.
Thanks James! I was hoping someone from the area would chime in. Thanks for confirming some of my thoughts...too nice a beach for no detectorists :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread