Pull-tabs deep near low tide line,,,bad sign?

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys,,,,more questions from the newbie....on my last trip for instance I was working the soup or just up from it near low tide.
Was not getting any targets , which could be normal for sure, but was getting a few 'fresh' tabs deep and was wondering
if this is a "BAD" sign since such a light target being that deep would mean the heavier good targets would for sure be out
of my range. I THINK I know the answer but don't really know if this would ALWAYS be the case..

Thanks!!

Dennis

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
How deep do you consider deep...?

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep do you consider deep...?

I dunno.....just guessing, since hole filling in on itself at that depth near the soup is hard to judge......just a guestimation of 12" (completely just estimating).

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
For me here in the Chesapeake Bay, If I'm digging trash that deep, in close the only possibility for me would be to get a small light gold and more then likely I'll go deeper to get away from that area. But I would say dig away until you learn the habits of your beach's. I've found what works at one beach may not at another. I have a rule here that gold can be any where, but you really have to put yourself in the best spots to increase the odd's. Good Luck ...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ! Really is a 'gray' area to say the least. Down low as tide is coming in the sand is deep on some of the beaches I have hunted, probably deep enough to be out of
my range. But like you said, could be 'Gold' there anyway. Up in hardpack, of course on most beaches you may get a tab just about anywhere or any depth. Yes, will keep on
experimenting and either come away with the gold or get my exercise scooping for the little boogers....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dennis, not sure about your beach there in Georgia, but here on the coast of CA, if we start getting tabs and light stuff on the wet-inter-tidal zone, that's a bad sign. That means sand is coming in, versus going out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same down here....the only rings I've ever found in the "fluff" are titanium and aluminum ones. I'd head for harder packed sand or cobble.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep...Agree with Tom and Cudamark. If you are on a slope...go up higher. If no slope go elsewhere!

Joe

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gotta agree with Tom/Cuda/DrJoe. Just had that same scenario here in the Palm Beaches the past 2 days. Pull Tab City in the wet sand as the surf was too rough to navigate. Zero heavy targets found...

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all replies !!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soupy sand is bad in general. You want the hard packed, tight sand. Anytime I feel samd squishing below my feet and dig nothing but aluminum shards and tabs it's time to move on.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the movement. Had similar issue, deep light junk but moved down the beach and found hard pack. Sand taken from this spot and getting moved to the area down the beach?
A block (or less) away could be different

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newbie, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have found those tab shallow and deep, soft sand and hard pack sand/shell. I think the abundance of them puts them throughout the matrix. I'm pull-tab confused.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walk quick thru those areas looking for harder packed sand or up slope. I still swing but not slow and low like when I get to a good spot. If harder sand is not in the next block or two and its not easy to move the car I hunt the "back nine" where the football soccer and or Frisbee happens. As long as its not happening at me lol. Sometimes you just catch the beach wrong. I am headed down Thursday but excal is still in the shop. I will swing the infinium n see what happens.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup here in most parts of Miami Beach I'm not even bothering with the wet sand. It has been a while since I've seen rocky firm packed wet sand here, most days it is quicksand soggy mess that results in nothing but 11" Pennies on my Minelab, DFX, CZ. Lately I've been only hunting in the water, which has been terrible down here with the very rough seas and sanded in conditions.The dry sand which has been fairly productive. However get ready to dig a mound of garbage at the dry. Here in the Miami Beach area the beaches tend to slope up very abruptly, resulting in a very small intertidal zone. As a result a very small area of good targets can be found and they are usually in the water only. I envy those who have nice long tidal regions where lots gets deposited over packed sand on large surface areas.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup here in most parts of Miami Beach I'm not even bothering with the wet sand. It has been a while since I've seen rocky firm packed wet sand here, most days it is quicksand soggy mess that results in nothing but 11" Pennies on my Minelab, DFX, CZ. Lately I've been only hunting in the water, which has been terrible down here with the very rough seas and sanded in conditions.The dry sand which has been fairly productive. However get ready to dig a mound of garbage at the dry. Here in the Miami Beach area the beaches tend to slope up very abruptly, resulting in a very small intertidal zone. As a result a very small area of good targets can be found and they are usually in the water only. I envy those who have nice long tidal regions where lots gets deposited over packed sand on large surface areas.

Don't!!! I wNt those who are in areas with high $$$$ patrons who lose high $$$$ bling! Up north FL most of us beach goers find the junk varieties of fake bling! We have 100 yard wide hard pack, wet sand but not much except zincolns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread