White's Surf PI Dual Field or Tesoro Sand Shark...Opinions?

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my crusty old white's surf pi machines but thinking of buying something new. The old surf pi's have been great I've got two of them. I like that they are light in weight, mount the box on your hip and very simple turn on and go.......they are fast and easy to use.

Could you share your 2 cents on these machines or one that you own and like...

Thanks

Upvote 0

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duplicate

Last edited:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a sand shark easy to use in the water. From what I have read the dual field is supposed to get better depth. The sand shark slices through the water better than my other detectors.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The depth thing is a total myth. The 10.5" Sand Shark is just as deep as the Dual Field, the coil doesn't float like the Dual Field's, It has Normal and VCO mode, can be tuned to your hearing (hi-low tone), it can also be chest or hip mounted, all the controls are outside the box, and it has a better warranty.

I've got over 1,000-hours on both machines, and I just prefer the Sand Shark. :skullflag:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have personally witnessed 8-10 scoops being removed with an old gallon 1/2 Miller scoop for old gold using the dual field on our north shore of Long Island. It takes a trained ear to know what to listen for. Don't see any Tesoros being used in my parts so can't speak for them, although if Terry said there just as good I'd give it a shot.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, you have to get up early for low tide on the South Shore to see the Sand Sharks hunting!

Attachments

• IMG00321-20110805-0532.jpg
    IMG00321-20110805-0532.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 173
  • jones72311 032.jpg
    jones72311 032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 192
  • jones72211j.jpg
    jones72211j.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 184
  • j3.jpg
    j3.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 212
  • beach1.JPG
    beach1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 192

ScooperDave

Jan 29, 2014
Orange County, California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT w/10"x 12" SEF Butterfly Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rich, I think you already have a killer PI unit with the old Whites Surf PI. If you opted for the Dual Field you would be getting a larger coil though, more coverage maybe? I think If anything you should get something with discrimination for those days when you just don't feel like digging up every piece of Iron, like an Excalibur or a Sovereign GT. Anyway just my 2 cents :occasion14:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have both and really, really LOVE my Dual Field! I have the smaller 8" or 9" coil on the Sand Shark and it definitely doesn't come close to the depth of the Dual Field in my experience. The DF will get a nickle at about 13"+ while the SS can't get it at 10" (lost a nickle that way). As a disclaimer...I have only limited time with the Sand Shark and don't think I've ever found gold with it. LOTS of gold with the Dual Field.

Now if we want to talk depth...the Garrett ATX is DEEP. Regularly find dimes at 20"+ (I just wish it was lighter)

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 5 years of many great finds and no problems, you get another thumbs up from me for the DF. Never had or used a SS so I have no comparison to offer, but many years with the DF have made me a big fan. Great depth, easy to use and when hip mounted effortless to swing that 12" coil on the wet or in the water.....and pay no attention to the floating coil talk, it's not an issue at all!!
SS

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For socal wet sand and some of thick black sand you and I hunt, DFPI all the way. I have friends with CTX and GT with no hope in black sand. DFPI you can get good at distinguishing fuzzy and crisp signals. You can dig everything of course. But some local beaches pass on the junk fuzzy iron. Sure you will still dig junk. DFPI I've pulled some crazy deep items. Big coils covers ground too. give mine a try and see how you like it.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my dual field

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

acemagurgle

Greenie
Jan 12, 2016
Dana point CA
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro / whites surf pro dual field/minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's dual field is my choice

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A prolific, full-time veteran hunter I know in s. florida used a Sand Shark for many years. A couple years ago he switched to the Dual Field. Drayton used a customized DF for awhile, but sold it. I think he's pretty much just using the ctx with 4 coils these days.

The Sand shark is a pleasure to use in the water. But I'd bet the farm it does not equal the depth of the dual field.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I have to say hunter skill has to much to do with pushing depth to really separate the two. Whisper hunting takes the touch so to speak. It's not for everyone. I think all that matters is what brand and stuff. Up to user again. In other words there's no real difference. Maybe within 5% of each other. A skilled hunter can grab either one and dig up deep stuff. I mean beyond simple loud obvious targets. Hh gl -Joe

one coil floats I don't know why.

I love my crusty old white's surf pi machines but thinking of buying something new. The old surf pi's have been great I've got two of them. I like that they are light in weight, mount the box on your hip and very simple turn on and go.......they are fast and easy to use.

Could you share your 2 cents on these machines or one that you own and like...

Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It amazes me how many Dual Field owners swear by the machine, but have never even tried the Sand Shark. The depth differential is total BS. I know because I have used both machines extensively. They are pretty much the same machine on the beach, but under 15' in depth the Sand Shark is king. :skullflag:

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Terry,

I am a true believer in the sand shark because of you. However I could only afford a used Tesoro Pirahana. It has been a coin killer at the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread