I will pick up your traah and fill in your holes...for the rest of us.

moviegoer

Sep 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures speak for themselves (actually after looking at them, they don't look as bad as the holes actually were).

This is high enough up the tide line to be a problem, and with dozens of them along the shoreline some one is bound to get hurt, or simply just complain about it. And these holes were small too. It took very little time and effort to fill them in.

The next observation I made was that there was trash left behind. Bottle caps and can slaw were right next to or in many of the holes. You just became a litterbug. Right now dcr breaches are technically open to being detected up to the HT line and down out in the water. This can change on the spot. dcr staff are allowed to make reasonable requests, such as this; "sir, your not filling in your holes, please stop doing that, put that away". And it could change literally. The wording of the rules could simply be. No detecting. Worse, what if you are not the person who is leaving the trash and you get asked to stop detecting? I already heard of one beach not allowing detecting even though the rules are the way they are. Why? Look no further. Eventually staff stop taking the time to single out he guy doing it, and just put a stop to it altogether.

We all petitioned and argued that were not a problem, we fill our holes in, and REMOVE what garbage we find. Stuff like this makes the hobby look bad. All you need is one whale to roll their ankle in one of these and go off in an ambulance screaming about the guy metal detecting. These holes were dangerous. There right in the line where people walk. And they were nice and small but deep enough. It was as if 50 booby traps were set. Its understandable to let nature fill them in by the water. The ones that won't, have to be filled in by the detectorist.

So I removed what bottle caps and can slaw I could find. And filled the holes in. I am not trying to say we all have to become litter pickers. Obviously, we have to consider our safety and how manageable an item is and use common sense. Common sense dictates in this situation the holes get filled in and the garbage is removed in deposited into a trash reciprocal.

Have a fun long weekend. Be safe with the swells.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see people do here all of the time too. D-bags must like digging trash up twice for some reason.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I completely agree with you! But don't you find it funny that they never ban children from digging in the sand and building sand castles???

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't comment on this topic as some people are sensitive.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. There is no excuse for leaving trash you've dug, but, the holes are a different story. They'll depend on the situation and timing. If you're hunting two hours before low tide to two hours after, and it's 3am, those holes will totally fill in before people hit the beach and not be a problem. If you start hunting at 8am and the tide is going out, then you'd better fill them in fairly well. In the dry sand, always kick the sand back in the hole. It just doesn't take that much to be courteous. If anyone is going to get blamed for holes on the beach, let it be someone else.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is a rare sight to see me wet sand hunting - but when I do - I dump my scoop right next to the hole and push it right back in when done
how long does it really take??
but I fill my holes in when I hunt in the woods at cellar holes and in farm fields - don't get me wrong - I don't make it invisable - but I make the effort - I push the dirt back in
and yet there are people that think because its a farm field so whats the big deal - my friend and I have lost permissions for farm fields because farmers have said others don't fill their holes

Welcome to Tnet. There is no excuse for leaving trash you've dug, but, the holes are a different story. They'll depend on the situation and timing. If you're hunting two hours before low tide to two hours after, and it's 3am, those holes will totally fill in before people hit the beach and not be a problem. If you start hunting at 8am and the tide is going out, then you'd better fill them in fairly well. In the dry sand, always kick the sand back in the hole. It just doesn't take that much to be courteous. If anyone is going to get blamed for holes on the beach, let it be someone else.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a report from a fellow detectorist that a lady came out and pulled all his plugs after he left. Ha came back buy in his car and caught her doing it. The park is now off limits......lot of wack jobs out there too dude.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked a guy one time, do you fill in your holes, he just came out with a 'NO' and didn't even blink...... Like some say, very sensitive subject, but man, I have seen
beaches torn all to heck, and that is by the humble tourists and kids. I mean blasted,,,,,big time.... I do fill mine, but sometimes it makes you wonder. This is one
reason I wear the footwear I showed on the Florida Footwear thread, you can do some serious back-filling with them boats.....:laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Any time someone gets criticized for something, they will normally take offense to it, regardless of how true it is. And MD's can be bought at your local Wal-Mart, ordered online, or given as a gift. People in the hobby are (for the most part) conscientious and fill in their holes...or at least make attempts to, if they don't know proper methods. But for the folks that get a detector without realizing it's a hobby for everyone, they can have this sort of attitude, like it doesn't matter what they do - they're not doing any harm.

There was a time when I would have looked at those holes in the sand and just scoffed that whomever posted was just being a jerk. Now, I keep in mind that many folks go jogging. How difficult is it to hit a hole, or even a soft spot, sink in, and twist or injure your ankle? A simple explanation of understanding is all that most people need; some amount of logic to apply to a particular situation.

And then there are those that make me see RED!! People who may keep their own place picture-perfect, but don't give a rip about any place that isn't theirs. Yes, those people give the majority a bad name. Sadly, the non-MDing world can't seem to connect the dots that it's the few who are hurting it for the many. I read more and more on here about folks who pick up the trash finds that others leave behind. I used to think that was a super person - so caring and conscientious. Now I understand that it's not "only" that, but also that MDers are just trying to keep their hobby alive and well in a land that would rather burn people at the stake for having an unusual dream that they have no control over. -- -- -- ...Meaning, jumping the gun and banning an area without knowing or caring about all of the facts. And there are some that will go so far as to pull plugs of a good MDer, just to get the hobby banned.

I swear - I'm amazed more people haven't moved to the middle of nowhere like we did, just to get away from "those" people!! ...On the other hand, we have some of "those" people way out here as well, so moving to no-man's land really didn't help much, other than to limit just how many "those's" we have to deal with. :munky2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread