Dear Minelab - My CTX 3030 Is Broken
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Dear Minelab - My CTX 3030 Is Broken

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast Of Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil 3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1957 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Dear Minelab - My CTX 3030 Is Broken

Last week I went to Jensen Beach here on the Treasurecoast with my CTX and spent a few hours in the water up to my waste. When I came out of the water I was stopped by a guy who dives some of the 1715 wrecks and we chatted a bit. I started to get a message on my machine saying the USB was connected. My machine stopped working. When I left the beach I had a text message from my friend in Orlando who was detecting in Tampa and his machine was giving him the same message. We contacted KELLYCo and MINELAB and were told we had moisture in our USB port and to buy anti-corrosion spray and contact cleaner. We were instructed to dry the port with cool air and then spray it. As an added protection to purchase some GE silicone clear caulk and use it around the USB cap. Well, it cost me 45 dollars or all of the sprays and caulk. I did that and it seemed to work until this morning.

So just like all of you I'm fired up, It's 430 am and I'm going to drive south to hit Lake Worth Pier. Here is what I see when I get there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake worth fix.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1357543

Well you can image how I feel when I turn my machine on and get USB connected. I drove an hour, paid 10 bucks for parking only to find out that I would not be doing any detecting today. The CTX is rated 10 feet deep in water. I was 3 the first time and the second I did not make it to the water. i paid a lot of money for this machine. I love this machine and have to Excal's. My point is that the design is bad for the USB port. They should make a plug for it like the audio port and then put the cap over the plug. Now I have to send the machine in. I tried to fix it again today when I got home with the spray. Has anyone else had this problem? I know my friend in Orlando has. We bought our machines a week apart and we both keep our machines clean and take all the precautions to ensure everything is tight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840(1).JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1357538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840(1).JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1357540  
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

www.treasurecoastmetaldetecting.com

Ring Total - 2020 - 18 Gold - Total Rings 47

www.riverrockcamping.com

www.pureenergybikes.com

us
    May 2010
    New England
    Excal WOT
    289 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Why didn't they give you an RMA and have it sent in for repair? Its a lot of money, so I know. Maybe contact the vendor again and demand an RMA. Or, how long ago did you get it. Depending where you bought it you could return it.

The instruction you were given is questionable. I am surprised minelab hasn't had more legal issues. Great machine, but the waterproofing on it...ahhh is dicey to say the least. -Joe

just a side note no matter how popular or known a spot is, id never discuss it one the public forum online. thats just my opinion. place is nice looking though.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19733 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    In Frogmaster's thread a year ago on water proofing the CTX had quite a discussion of the USB port.

And that's why I went ahead and purchased an Excal. I just couldn't get past the vulnerabilities...
    NC Digger and Fletch88 like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41490 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That looks like an amazing place to hunt Spanish galleons Mel fisher the man who took my dream I would be furious Ive had that problem with my AT PRO after parking and walking 30 mins to my spot my vdi numbers went crazy Kellyco has given ne a new detector twice and fast to boot I was thinking about the 3030 but this goesnt sound good I wish you all the luck to get this fixed for good!!!!!!!!!!!
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil 3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1957 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I have had it about 4 months. Great machine. I asked today for an RMA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.riverrockcamping.com

www.pureenergybikes.com

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19733 times
    Good luck on that Slider. My opinion is they should fix it for free, only 4 months. But, isn't it a bit over 4 months when Minelab came out with the upgraded waterproofing? But then dealer stock could be prior to the upgrade.
    slider66 likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    1957 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    It's the new version

www.riverrockcamping.com

www.pureenergybikes.com

us
    May 2010
    New England
    Excal WOT
    289 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by slider66 View Post
    I have had it about 4 months. Great machine. I asked today for an RMA

I hope they give you a brand new one. -Joe.
    DeepseekerADS and slider66 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    19733 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slider66 View Post
    It's the new version
    Oh crap. Bad juju bwana! I'm glad I love my Excal!

Given it is the new version, you should get a new one cross shipping, no questions debated.
    slider66 and kcm like this.

May 2013
    Tesoro sand shark, fisher cz-21 Whites beach hunter300 minelab equinox 800
    474 times
    Something that expensive should function without all the babying . You are to commended for explaining the problem and not coming unglued. I would be livid.
    slider66 likes this.

can
    us
    Dec 2015
    NC
    xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
    459 times
    Sorry to hear about the 3030. Hope you can get it worked out satisfactory. I just got one too. Hope I dont get the same message.

can
    us
    Dec 2015
    NC
    xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
    459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gamiller View Post
    Something that expensive should function without all the babying . You are to commended for explaining the problem and not coming unglued. I would be livid.
    Exactly....

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    32867 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joeb1999 View Post
    Why didn't they give you an RMA and have it sent in for repair? Its a lot of money, so I know. Maybe contact the vendor again and demand an RMA. Or, how long ago did you get it. Depending where you bought it you could return it.

The instruction you were given is questionable. I am surprised minelab hasn't had more legal issues. Great machine, but the waterproofing on it...ahhh is dicey to say the least. -Joe

just a side note no matter how popular or known a spot is, id never discuss it one the public forum online. thats just my opinion. place is nice looking though.
    The instruction given wasn't questionable, he could have sent his detector in if he wanted, it was his choice not to.

I use pure silicone caulking on my USB port cap as well for added protection since I don't do way points and fine points there is no need to use port till next update.. You can also fill the port with electrical grease......

Neither vendor nor repair center opens the RMA, Minelab in Chicago does...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Retired

Apr 2014
    CTX - Excal - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
    988 times
    I'd post the issue on Minelabs Facebook page too Garry. GL my friend...
    U.S. Air Force Veteran - Retired Fed with 36 years of Service. "Today's the Day...I gotta get out there with my Minelab"

us
    Retired

Apr 2014
    CTX - Excal - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
    988 times
    TH, please. This is not a customer choice issue, it's a design issue that should not require silicone, caulking, grease, tape, etc to remedy a design issue with a $2500 machine...
    gamiller, kcm, Fletch88 and 2 others like this.
    U.S. Air Force Veteran - Retired Fed with 36 years of Service. "Today's the Day...I gotta get out there with my Minelab"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links