Two Piece Scoop Compared to One Piece Scoop Question

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last several years I've been using the Kellyco 6061 aluminum scoop. I primarily hunt one sandy bottomed freshwater swimming area near my house. It has served me well for the hunting I do. Due to physical disabilities I can't really use a bigger heavier type scoop. I'm about to purchase a backup scoop. I have two water detectors now and plan on taking my son in law with me sometimes, so I need a second scoop. They make the exact same scoop I have in a two piece travel model. In the event I happen to get to travel I considered purchasing the two piece model instead of another one piece like I have. Is anyone else using that particular two piece scoop or one similar to it? If so, what is your opinion on how it will hold up and is it pretty solid at the connection point? I just don't want it be loose and shaking back and forth at the connection point. I may sound picky but it will be used 99% of the time locally like my current scoop. I'm only considering the two piece for that "just in case" situation where I get a chance to go on a flight somewhere. I won a $100 gift certificate from Kellyco and plan on applying it to a new scoop. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always used a travel scoop. I primarily use it on vacation 2-3 times per year to the coast and pound it for 6-10 hours a day during those vacations.

My current scoop has served me well for about 2 years, but then the problems started at the center connection point. After replacing screws, drilling and tapping the center "connector" piece a few times and replacing screws again, I am turning it into a standard scoop by drilling straight through and adding locktite and lock washers and nylon nuts....until my new scoop comes. Which will be the 920iX with carbon fiber when it is back in stock. I found the Garret travel case is just long enough for me to pack the handles so I do not need to break it down to fly any longer. As a back up scoop and for once and a while, a travel scoop should be fine, but for more than 1 vacation a year i would find a way to get the real deal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aluminum two-piece WET SAND scoops won't last for every-week use. I have a heavy two-piece "Travel" scoop, that was made back in the early 1990's that is steel. Doesn't give at all, but doggone it's a heavy beast! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used 2 piece RTG travel heavy gauge aluminum scoops for like the last 12 yrs
use them for everyday and travel
last year I bought one with an added stainless lip - it cuts thru sea grass and muck better
yrs ago I had a smaller 2 piece stainless scoop with a smaller basket for travel - would take to many scoops to get targets
go big basket or go home

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of the Kellyco aluminum travel scoops....not sure which model. It's fine for that purpose, but, not a good everyday scoop. The screws loosen and it starts to rattle. Tighten the screws, scoop a few more times, the screws loosen again and it rattles again. Kind of annoying. Maybe using a different kind of bolt might cure that problem. I haven't looked into it as I haven't traveled with it lately.

OP
OP
Sleepy

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I think from what I've heard here I'm going to stick with another one piece scoop and deal with the travel scoop issue when the need arises. It will be used on a regular basis locally, so stopping and tightening screws isn't something I care to deal with for every day hunting. Thanks guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread