scared crapless while diving

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a shallow water hunting forum but I cant find deep water hunting, I was out on lake Ontario on my 17 ft dive boat...I had the full set up dive flags , double tanks on my back and all the goodies....was diving on an old coal ship that went down in the late 1800's, 80 foot of water...things weren't going to good from the start , first I was alone, my anchor wouldn't hold( Ontatio has a vey sandy bottom)..I decided to go for it and follow the anchor line down....I got to like 10 feet, the water turned realy murky and I saw the shadow of this giant thing swimming by I have no idea what it was..I immediately filled my vest with air and shot out of the water...got in my my boat and took off..last I dived in that lake that deep...I styed in less then 20 feet of water after that

Upvote 0

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's called a North American Nessie. It primarily lives in murky waters between 20ft-70ft. So it is said to be highly prevalent in the one of the 5 great lakes (mainly Lake Michigan). Nessie is approximately 25ft in length and weighing in a whopping 3 tons! Legend has it that it resembles the famous Zumzizeroo (shown below). Glad you escaped with your life!

zumzizeroo.jpg

But in all seriousness, I am glad you left when you did. Never good to dive alone. Especially at great depth. Did you end up finding anything that day in the shallower water? If so, would love to know what. Again, be safe out there.

Happy Hunting

Hockey_Detectorist

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got out of there without dieing or getting hurt. But it would have been nice for you to stay long enough to identified the beast. Men these days seem to lack courage.

Just kidding on not having the courage. I often get spooked with less excitement than you described. :)

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lake Ontario Muskie!
I run into them in Lake of the Woods once in a while.
Yup, plenty scary when they cruise by you when you're not ready for'em.
huge-muski.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a "gonna-chomp-you-good-saurus". Related to Loch Ness monster, Tyrannosaurus and at least one of the current Presidential candidates.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aren't bends a factor going down 80 ft and shooting to the top like that ?
Obviously if you are here to write about it, apparently not ,, Or maybe a question of how much time spent on the bottom ?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't bends a factor going down 80 ft and shooting to the top like that ?
Obviously if you are here to write about it, apparently not ,, Or maybe a question of how much time spent on the bottom ?

He stated he got to 10 foot when it swam by.That was the end of his dive.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sturgeon sounds right as mentioned earlier.
Read enough native lore though and there were/are things in the Great Lakes not to be crossed. Glyphs still exist from their influence.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He stated he got to 10 foot when it swam by.That was the end of his dive.

Also said trouble with anchor on the sandy bottom of the lake, so I figure to know the bottom of a lake is sandy musta been down there

OP
OP
B

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a few people and they said it must have been a sturgeon, I'm still not diving there even If I have 5 people with me....I don't want to be gummed by a sturgeon who thinks I'm food the murky water is what scared me the most, I don't like looking down the anchor rope and seeing nothing..what if it was a big pike, that's like a barracuda of fresh water....I went back to my usual dive spot off the beach 15 to 20 feet of water, much clearer and all I found were nice round lakestone rocks....I rarely do dives where I have to decompress on the way up, it puts a wall between you and the surface..very dangerous...that's why I always go down with 2 tanks and 2 regulators...I thought the water would be a lot clearer which also scared me...I dove the Carribeanfor lobster and the water was crystal clear and the only thing I had to worry about were sea carp (big but harmless), the ocational barracuda (just make sure you wear nothing shiny and their no problem) some small sharks (not sure of the identity) just carried a zap pole if they go to familiar...I also dove for conk ( conch or whatever you call em) in St Croix, their where quite the amount of annoying fish following you around including a 4 foot grouper( who keeped on trying to suck on my head for some reason) the only thing that scared me in those waters where the big eles, they can be quite nasty

Last edited:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
big enough to knock your regulator out of your mouth and mask off your face, that would be bad at 80 foot. worse thing ive ran into treasure diving since 93 is a big a$$ snapping turtle. 0 visibility, knocked him around a lil not knowing what i was messing with. felt huge claw go across my hand. surface and so did he. his head was like a small football, not sure about his body. i still have flashes when i dive in murky water. like hes still stalking me, super scarey when your down there in the murky. its not like on utube, you usually cant see one inch, sometimes just close my eyes to concentrate, control my breathing and hear the signals better

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sturgeon! Eeeekkkkk

OP
OP
B

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was belly surfing in Xtapa mexico a few years ago, and these waves were huge (average around 10 feet) I was having a good all time up until the wave of terror hit me...I was in about 5 feet of water when this huge wave came at me...I was all excited to ride it until I saw it was full of stingrays...OMG,,,, I tried to dive under it but one stingray got me in the shoulder with its tail...I had a puncture wound for about a week, it was painfull as hell

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats deep diving ...without a buddie...not a good idea

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I’m telling you this because 50 years ago I was told “if you panic you die “. there is probably nothing and no reason in this world for a person to panic think of the person who might be diving with you if you can’t control your panic situation. there is no reason to panic learn to control your self I am not saying this to be forward I am saying this to you because I care I don’t want to read about something happening to our fellow diver if you dive with a partner next time let him know you have a panic problem , thank you

Harvest

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since we're here. Years ago when I was a kid and only had my C card a few months, went out with an older friend for a day diving. Just cruising along looking at what was on the bottom. All of a sudden I get a poke in the ribs between my arm & tank. Thinking it's my friend poking me to turn & look at something cool, I turned around & a blue shark's swimming away! When you're a young kid I don't care if a shark is 6' it still looks like it's 20'! Needless to say my wetsuit was toasty warm for awhile..... Here's to resurrecting an old thread & old memories!

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When we humans get in the water , we're no longer at the top of the food chain !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we had a spot up here that they cut off from a lg river and it created a pond - some divers went in and guy said he was in similar conditions
and all of a sudden he gets bumped by something and he thinks its a log - he pushes it away and after a little while it rubs up against him
again and he pushes it again - he said in was long and dark brown and had a rough feel to it - eventually he turned and ended up looking it
right in the eye and it scared the crap out of him - his partner went back down and saw it was a huge sturgeon - and ended up being a 2nd one
they got trapped when they cut of that part of the river .

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Probably a Catfish. I saw a man catch one 65 pounds in a lake 45acres in 15 feet at the deepest part.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Early days of cave diving, planned to dive a new cave. We set up, got in the water, bubble check, etc, and headed down into the murky entrance. Just as we swam down into the cave we saw two huge alligators sitting inside looking at us.

You'd be surprised at how fast two guys in doubles can get out of the water! I never did get to dive that cave.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread