scared crapless while diving

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a shallow water hunting forum but I cant find deep water hunting, I was out on lake Ontario on my 17 ft dive boat...I had the full set up dive flags , double tanks on my back and all the goodies....was diving on an old coal ship that went down in the late 1800's, 80 foot of water...things weren't going to good from the start , first I was alone, my anchor wouldn't hold( Ontatio has a vey sandy bottom)..I decided to go for it and follow the anchor line down....I got to like 10 feet, the water turned realy murky and I saw the shadow of this giant thing swimming by I have no idea what it was..I immediately filled my vest with air and shot out of the water...got in my my boat and took off..last I dived in that lake that deep...I styed in less then 20 feet of water after that

Upvote 0

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh water shark? Don't think so. Creepy enough to get me out of the water? Big YES!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's crazy!!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somes lakes here in south east Texas has very large cat fish and alligators that would keep me from diving and wading - anyway I am like you if its large and unknown I am going to abandon the hunt - thanks you for sharing your post with all of us.

Texas ED

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably a very large, very old Sturgeon.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ontario?,..Probably large sturgeon.,,,harmless. Cat fish here in Canada I've never seen get much longer than 4 foot.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably your guardian angel saying diving alone is NEVER a good idea!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loch Ness... it moved to warmer climate after it retired.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been windsurfing on top of deep green water and I agree it scares the crap out of you and your imagination runs wild! Dreading the day I get greeted by a dolphin. Will crap my pants for sure! Is that a round or pointed fin???

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Like AARC said, It was the Loch Ness Monster on vacation. Great Discovery on your part. Nessie will love you ok. PEACE:RONB

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a trip a few years ago . I was in Ft.Meyers/Sanibel area of florida about 20yrds off shore in ten to twelve feet of water snorkling with my kids for sand dollars on the bottom . As I was coming back up to the top it got very dark real fast so I looked over my head and all I saw was a wall of Gray
( HOLY CRAP ) I immediately ran/swam toward shore screaming for everyone to get out of the water. Once looking back in the water it wound up being a couple of Manatees 10-12ft long. They just wanted to check us out, but it was VERY SCARRY at the moment.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scary deal for sure !!! :icon_scratch: Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard a story of a diver inspecting a dam and when he came up he was in a state of disbelief and for quite awhile all he could say was telephone pole swam away.It was a huge catfish and he refused to go back down without a co-diver to watch his back.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard about an underwater welder that was doing some work on the dam of our local lake. He saw catfish (plural) big enough for grown men to swim into. Said he'd never go into the water again. In reality, the fish could still swim, but not very well. They stayed there at the base of the dam letting the water bring all their food to them. They just kept their big mouthes open. ...Seems like it was in the local paper,but can't remember.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kcm, same thing down in the Flint river in Ga. Divers went down to deepest parts, said the catfish were so big, they couldn't even swim. Just sat/laid on the bottom, with their mouths open, for food to come to them.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is difficult to truly imagine such a sight, especially underwater!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread