Sea glass-old bottles-rocks and more

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my findings from the seaside beach in seaside ca and del monte beach in Monterey ca
I enjoy digging for old bottles and sea glass as well as old China pieces. I have found some pretty cool treasures and hope you enjoy what I've shared with you all

Attachments

• IMG_1754.JPG
    IMG_1754.JPG
    802.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    855.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    856.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    848.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds I love the sea glass. I think I see a piece of red in there ?? thats rare and hard to find. Is the spoon silver ?

OP
OP
S

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sea glass findings

The spoon I think is silver....I am huge sea glass lover and have tons of it. I love to dig for it at the old dump in sand city ca. Here are some more pictures of some of my sea glass that I have found digging

Attachments

• DSCN6848.JPG
    DSCN6848.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • DSCN6833.JPG
    DSCN6833.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
  • DSCN6834.JPG
    DSCN6834.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • DSCN6845.JPG
    DSCN6845.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
  • DSCN6843.JPG
    DSCN6843.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • DSCN6842.JPG
    DSCN6842.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool treasures. I would be proud to have found them all. I recently cruised to Bermuda where there are numerous well known sea glass beaches as a result of dumping old trash into the ocean and near shore merchant ship wrecks, which I hoped to sample. However, collecting sea glass is now off limits to anyone but a native Bermudian with a permit from the government. By the way, it is legal for anyone to hunt the beaches in Bermuda with a metal detector during certain times of the day. However, you have to apply in person for a $25 government permit and the permit does not go into effect for 5 business days while the government distributes a copy of the approved permit to police so you don't get arrested. Obviously, it is all a ruse and the 5 day waiting period is to make it impractical for anyone but a native or long staying tourist to use a metal detector on the beaches. I will not return to Bermuda for any reason. I will find a more hospitable place to spend my money.

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Glass - Cool square green item... Keep an eye out for Sharks Teeth - I found them north and south of Santa Cruz on the beaches..BillT.

OP
OP
S

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that just insane and I don't blame you I would not want to return there neither

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome reds there, cranberry and bright red.. Also orange is one at the top of the list in rarity.

I am a collector and beachglass jewelry maker. Its a lot of fun. If don't already know and you're interested in learning how to drill the glass I can help you.

Red.jpg
Pendants1.jpg
bracelett.jpg
Glassshow.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there Sweetrazz, re.: your note-in-bottle: Your dad asked me about the bottle. So I posted the pix he sent me (which I see you posted on this forum too) on another md'ing forum in their "bottle" section. And the consensus there was that the bottle was new. But merely one that was made to look vintage. You know, like how some perfume bottles are made with cutesy curves, etc.... to merely look old. And as for the pits, that's not unsual for a bottle/glass to get after only 10 yrs. of "bobbing at the coast line" going in and out on the surf/sand erosion cycles. And the note too, as I see from your post on this forum, was deemed to be fairly modern writing style, ink, etc.... too. Oh well, fun story :) The next one you open will say "payable to the bearer $1,000,000 in Standard Oil stock" haha

We've hunted that stretch of Del Monte from Tide Ave , south to the wharf, since the 1980s. And about every few years, erosion will nibble at various points in the dunes. And as you've observed: There were municipal dumping spots in the dunes back at the turn-of-the-century-ish. Who would ever have known that mother nature would erode that far back into the dunes, such that now the debris is seen on the cliff sides, eh ? :) Coins spill out of the dunes there too during erosion, but the junk metal ratio is quite punishing at some of those stretches.

I've pulled coins as old as reales, and even 3 gold coins coins from that stretch of beach. But I don't think your dad was ever at any of the days when it was down to really good zones/erosion. The most recent episode was just last fall: For almost a month or so, that entire zone down about where Park Ave. intersects became red hot. Lots of silver coins, a $5 gold, etc... were found. I'm not really into bottles, so I never poked around in the dunes for that.

Looking at your pix of bottles on your other thread, none of them appear to be the highly collectible ones. But if you want someone local to look at them for valuation, let me know, and there's a local bottle expert guy I can steer you to. Those dunes were extensively dug for bottles back in the 1960s and '70s. But I'm sure they "didn't get them all". :)

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Mr Jones: I have learned how to drill glass with diamond coated bits (available at Harbor Freight).
But I haven't learned how to polish dulled glass. Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
S

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hello and thanks for the info. I would definitely love to learn how to do more with sea glass so anytime is good for me and whenever it works best for you. I do hope to find some coins someday I think that would really be awesome. For me just to find stuff that is old even if it's not worth a penny I still feel blessed. There was this one time a few years back I went to the second chance store out at the dump in marina and I paid 25 cents for a poetry book that was just a little over 100 years old and I was so amazed how a book this old as been floating around for so long. It just really awesome to me...I love vintage and antiques!! If you still have my dads contact info get my number from him and give me a call when you have time to show me some more about sea glass. Thanks again and talk to you soon.

Kristen

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried mineral oil and it seems to work good for me when it came to the dulled sea glass

OP
OP
S

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way your sea glass jewelry work is absolutely beautiful!! Do you set up booths at events around Monterey and other areas too?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't polish the glass, it's a bit of a selling point that every piece is as found.

I hunt Lake Michigan in Chicago and generally only sell locally. People like having something from their hometown.

Thanks for the compliment!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sweetrazz, there's no erosion going on right now. The sands been "coming in" ever since early spring of this year. But perhaps we'll get some fall erosion starting within the next few weeks ? Thus the only metal detecting to do now, is dry sand. And that's no fun :( Much funner when mother nature does the work for you, and erodes/concentrates all the goodies into concise zones for us :)

There is one perpetual spot though that, isn't dependent on swell/surf/erosion though: There's a certain mud-flat beach in our area that is always riddled with coins. It never erodes out, or fills in. Trouble is, it seems to be all clad (with an occasional wheatie or silver coin though). It's good for practice though, as you can get up to 100 coins (albeit all clad) with ease. Also we do find glassware, silverware, and even an occasional gold ring there.

So whenever you and your dad are up for a try here, we'll take you there. I know your dad has a Excalibur still, right ? If he doesn't have an extra machine, I've got an extra for you . Touch base with him, and he has my wife & I's # (he was just at our house a week or so back giving my wife help @ our plumbing/heating I think).

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....However, you have to apply in person for a $25 government permit and the permit does not go into effect for 5 business days while the government distributes a copy of the approved permit to police so you don't get arrested.
yep, just another way to gouge the tourist. this is the city doing this?

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation on the nice finds. You have a nice collection of sweeties.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my findings from the seaside beach in seaside ca and del monte beach in Monterey ca
I enjoy digging for old bottles and sea glass as well as old China pieces. I have found some pretty cool treasures and hope you enjoy what I've shared with you all

Is that a jaw bone in pic #3?
Bones sell good on ebay. I was beachcombing a few months ago and found a bleached white, seal pelvis bone. Sold on ebay within a couple days for more than $10 (+ shipping)

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whatever you do, DON'T polish sea glass. The whole idea is to have the "patina" of surf and sand tumbled broken glass with smoothed edges as it is found on the beach. Polishing sea glass would be like putting a rare date coin in a tumbler to make it shine again. Not a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread