Electrolysis question

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all recently started using electrolysis I have used it 4 times and it's been taking forever to work about a couple of hours. I have been using a 12v 1 amp charger with salt water and a splash of lemon juice. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be great. Thank you everyone!

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trade out the salt for baking soda....might get better results...
What are you trying to zap?

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you using as your electrode?

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been cleaning my silver and a few wheat pennies, and I have been using a stainless steel spoon.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Electrolysis of metal detecting finds:

Material: AC to DC power supply (radio AC adapter) my choice is a 1.5-12Volt, 1Amp converter Stainless steel alligator clips (2) with a red and a black boot Stainless steel spoon (MUST be stainless steel) Pyrex glass custard cup Baking soda

Optional: Variable AC controller for input to AC adapter Timer adjustable in seconds Alligator “extra hands” Insulation mat

Operation: Mix approx ½ cup of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda Connect NEGATIVE lead of AC adapter to the OBJECT to be cleaned Connect POSITIVE lead of AC adapter to the stainless steel SPOON Place the spoon in one side of the cup Place the object in the opposite side of the cup Place insulation mat between spoon and object

DO NOT LET THE OBJECT AND SPOON TOUCH

Adjust the adapter’s output until bubbles appear on the object and spoon This should yield approximately 5ma on a dime, 10ma on a quarter and 15ma on a large class ring. Amperage is calculated for surface area NOT diameter Check progress at 30-second intervals for the first 2 minutes If more than 2 minutes is required, check at 1 to 5 minute intervals depending on progress

Hints: Use lower voltage / amperage (less bubbles) on more delicate items Disconnect object and clean with water and baking soda periodically Do not splatter solution on counter or clothing Use a fan to remove sulfur odor from working area

REMEMBER: You can always resume electrolysis after checking its progress, but you can NEVER undo the destruction it may cause if left too long or done at too high amperage.

Attachments

• Electrolysis.JPG
    Electrolysis.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 102

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I rap my silver coins each separately in tin foil and bring to a boil with water and baking soda. I boil about 5 minutes and then take coins out and rub off with baking soda and rinse under water and repeat if needed to get brighter results. Works great. Faster than electrolysis. I do this for silver rings as well.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been cleaning my silver and a few wheat pennies, and I have been using a stainless steel spoon.

You might have the wires crossed or have a bad source. In 5-6 minutes my silver comes clean like new with baking soda.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you aren't getting solid contact to metal, it's not going to work well. The biggest problem is that people only make contact to the layer of external corrosion. I don't know if that applies to your situation, but it is a common problem for beginners.

Also, you want it to take time! If it goes too fast you run the risk of seriously damaging an item

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have only used electrolysis on steel...so far. However I have excellent results using washing sofa instead of baking soda. I assume it would help with coins as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I found this useful too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions