think this could be used by TH'ers

Maximilian

Oct 13, 2014
Montenegro
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Excalibur II,Equinox 800, Goldscan 4...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting toy, could be used to improve search technique if price is acceptable. Question is will u use it Casper?
Other idea come to my mind when i see ur post , does anyone use some fishing application to mark his places and finds I guess is more easy then making diary at home.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will if you buy me one - I promise
there are many places I wish I had one - specially on farm field and big relic hunts on land
they make gps for hunters that can be used for that
someone posted a phone app sometime ago - where they carried I think in a water proof case
and it tracked everywhere they went in the water and they could pull up on their computer
and it showed their path for the day - I thought hat was cool
if this is completely water proof (which id think it would be) - you could push button
and tag good finds or any good spots worth noting - ive seen hunters do good
and try to re find the spot with no luck -

It is interesting toy, could be used to improve search technique if price is acceptable. Question is will u use it Casper?
Other idea come to my mind when i see ur post , does anyone use some fishing application to mark his places and finds I guess is more easy then making diary at home.

Maximilian

Oct 13, 2014
Montenegro
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Excalibur II,Equinox 800, Goldscan 4...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i expected :) even it looks good at first look and offer one button position marking which i guess can be useful for water hunting since in water is harder to find markers especially if u r not familiar with site that also became main disadvantage . Absence of screen make make it impossible to guide u to favorite spot without cell phone an if u need to bring cell phone in water why u need it on first place. Once i bring my so called waterproof Sony phone to lake wadding , when i finish it it was full of water even it was no more then 10cm submerged in water, i fix it at the end but this annulled value of gold i find . Since then i considered them just water resistant, maybe new cat s60 is game changer but it is little expensive to experiment with it.On land ur cell phone will suit u well.
There is already detector with this function but personally i never think this function can be useful until now so I guess next upgrade for CTX will be selfie camera so u can take pictures of ur finds on spot :) However i don't think i will change my Excalibur just because of this ;)

PS: I just realize that GPS probably will not work under water, and especially not salt water so practically u will get inaccurate readings if any.

Last edited:

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, but I'm concern about where the data is stored and does other users have access to my locations. Not that I got any special spots. Haha. I once used a fishing app on the phone it was cool but anyone using the app could see everyone's spots and catches. It was good idea, because it allowed me to describe conditions, bait, time / date and even add a picture of catch. But then it stored it on a cloud. It was a free app, and maybe that is why it wasn't personal only. Hope to find something like this for fishing and metal detecting.

However, I will never take a phone back into the water. I have used several waterproof cases and they all have failed. Soft and hard boxes. I have lost two phones worth at least couple hundred dollars each. Some of my worst days treasure hunting. I would like to carry my phone for safety purposes. But can't afford another soaking. I think I was at fault on one of my soft water proof cell case, by not ensuring the double seal was totally sealed. Let me know if this device works and keeps your information private. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen water proof gps units - pricey though
many guys up this way use waders - so all they would have to do is protect phone or gps unit just enough
and they could tuck in waders - there are guys that jet ski - boat or kayak to spots too

As i expected :) even it looks good at first look and offer one button position marking which i guess can be useful for water hunting since in water is harder to find markers especially if u r not familiar with site that also became main disadvantage . Absence of screen make make it impossible to guide u to favorite spot without cell phone an if u need to bring cell phone in water why u need it on first place. Once i bring my so called waterproof Sony phone to lake wadding , when i finish it it was full of water even it was no more then 10cm submerged in water, i fix it at the end but this annulled value of gold i find . Since then i considered them just water resistant, maybe new cat s60 is game changer but it is little expensive to experiment with it.On land ur cell phone will suit u well.
There is already detector with this function but personally i never think this function can be useful until now so I guess next upgrade for CTX will be selfie camera so u can take pictures of ur finds on spot :) However i don't think i will change my Excalibur just because of this ;)

PS: I just realize that GPS probably will not work under water, and especially not salt water so practically u will get inaccurate readings if any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread