Love my Excalibur 2!

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
I have been using my new Excalibur 2 for a few weeks now and love it.

I primarily hunt east coast beaches in NY. I have two machines prior to the Ex. The Whites Beach Hunter ID and the AT Pro. The AT Pro works well on the dry sand, but man, I just could not get it to do much of anything in wet sand and water. It constantly falsed, and I basically had to put the sensitivity level down to almost 1 or 2. Its a nice machine, and i use it when I do get on dry land, but for beach hunting, it just could not cut the mustard for me. The Whites on the other hand, is a great machine. I can skim the sand without falsing and it is pretty solid. Its OK in the water, but I just didnt love it. The machine was also pretty heavy, so I started using either a sling buddy or sometimes a hip mount. In addition, ground balancing was a bear often. No matter how much I pumped the coil, I just could not get a great balance. That is what really led me to the Excalibur 2. The auto ground balance is a life saver. You can go from dry to wet without having to balance at all. I usually don't do this, but it is a nice perk

Targets have been coming up much more often than with the Whites. In addition, I know I am getting deeper targets as I passed over a section of beach that i saw another detectorist on and I got a nice gold earring that his machine missed.

I replaced the shaft with an anderson straight shaft immediately for better balance.

The only down side is an issue many have complained about. The knobs on the Excalibur are fairly unreliable. My Discrim/PP know broke in the first week. I ordered a set of Anderson Knobs and they are a marked improvement.

Just my 2 Cents

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shame you have to put more money into a $1,500.00 machine to balance it and replace knobs right off the bat. :skullflag:

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
The shaft replacement is a really a personal preference , so nothing you can blame minelab on....the knobs are an issue that they should address. But, its really worth it. This machine really makes hunting fun

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Shame you have to put more money into a $1,500.00 machine to balance it and replace knobs right off the bat. :skullflag:

Terry remember when you were young and got your first car, I could not wait to start changing stuff. Wheels, tires, 8 track....Excal lovers still feel the urge cause...... "We Are Hot Rodders Baby!!"

OBN0367.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you OBN. :occasion14:

But I still get a kick out of following Excalibur's with huge coils on the beach, and pissing them off with my 8" Sand Shark. :laughing7: :skullflag:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

But I still get a kick out of following Excalibur's with huge coils on the beach, and pissing them off with my 8" Sand Shark. :laughing7: :skullflag:

I fully understand...as you can see below......he-he

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are u saying the Excalibur misses a lot of stuff because it has the discrimination on?
Forgive me I'm a noob and am trying to learn as I go... the sand shark from my understanding is a pi system? How much trash are you really picking up you think compared to other people using machines with discrimination? I am trying to pick between the Excalibur and a pi. Wish I had one I could try or someone I could go with and watch. I live close to the beach and hear the most stuff is found in the surf so I think that's going to be my primary location (2-3 feet deep max cause water is nowhere near see through).
Anyways, thx for any reply...

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are u saying the Excalibur misses a lot of stuff because it has the discrimination on?
Forgive me I'm a noob and am trying to learn as I go... the sand shark from my understanding is a pi system? How much trash are you really picking up you think compared to other people using machines with discrimination? I am trying to pick between the Excalibur and a pi. Wish I had one I could try or someone I could go with and watch. I live close to the beach and hear the most stuff is found in the surf so I think that's going to be my primary location (2-3 feet deep max cause water is nowhere near see through).
Anyways, thx for any reply...

Maybe the Excalibur user smiles more knowing that sand shark owner is digging the iron signal that just nulled on his machine?
Ordinarily in stock modes the Sand Shark is a deeper machine it's debatable with a larger coil on the Excalibur. On my beach there are plenty of hair pins and bottle caps in the wet sand and water, you'd dig them all with a sand shark very few with an Excalibur that's the only difference.
Lets say there's 3 targets per yard and 1/3rd are ferrous . The Excal user covers a third more ground digging the same amount of targets and eliminates the trash while doing so. After lots of practice you'll hear the difference between a coin a ring and a nail but not nearly all so the Excal will always cover more ground effectively.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time spent digging up junk iron is time wasted.:icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

90% of the guys I follow use excals

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm right there with Casper. When out hunting, I'm usually competing with the Excals. My hunting buddy uses a Sovereign that he waterproofed which is basically an Excal equivalent. We are always comparing finds, find depths etc. In the end, the CZ tends to beat out the Excal in the deep/small finds (still get amazed at how deep the smallest earring, etc pops up with the CZ). In regards to total finds, the Excal and CZ are pretty even...we do a good job of cleaning up the beach :)
Comes down to me knowing what my CZ is telling me and him knowing what his Sovereign is telling him.

Happy Holidays everyone and best of luck in the new year!
TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread