JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Excal leaked on the 5th use...I saved up for MONTHS to get this machine. When I went to charge it, I noticed the plugs looked a bit rusty. I don't understand how it happened so fast, I was using it in the water a few hours prior to charging it. I've had it for about 4 months now but noticed in the hand book that if it leaks by the battery, the warranty is voided. I turned down so many opportunities to go out and have fun with friends and family, to eat good, everything for this machine. Metal detecting is my passion, I live, sleep, dream about it. Just signed up for classes again at my local school, so I'm dead broke to repair it. Life sucks sometimes [emoji26] feeling really depressed.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel for ya. Seems odd to sell such a high-$$ machine and have a warranty that doesn't cover a known problem. I mean, they have no way of knowing a customer didn't mess with the battery cover and put it back on wrong, but still - seems like a more secure battery closure would be in order!

I remember watching Deadliest Catch on Discovery, and all the troubles they kept having with their so-called "waterproof cameras". Things were so bad that they started taking brand new cameras and pre-emptively sealing them in every way they could think of. This led to the camera manufacturers finally coming up with much more reliable cameras. So, as with then, maybe the excal users need to put their thinking caps on and get to work on some ideas.

All I have is a miserly Tesoro Silver uMax. It's not even water resistant. However, if I were ever to want to use it in the rain or even underwater, I'd find a way to make it work!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 3 cz21s - if you lived nearby - I let you borrow one ...but I'm in Ma.
maybe you can find someone in your area with a back up you can hook up with

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Justkeepdiggin-

Anyway you can post a few pics? Is it the battery pod that leaked? or the control housing? And which pod if battery pod..the AA or the rechargable? Maybe we can find a way to get ya back in business with a little more information..

ag

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Justkeepdiggin-

Anyway you can post a few pics? Is it the battery pod that leaked? or the control housing? And which pod if battery pod..the AA or the rechargable? Maybe we can find a way to get ya back in business with a little more information..

ag

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479593841.161264.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479593899.179473.jpg

This is what it's looking like, I still cant believe this... every time I was finished detecting I would be sure to take the thing apart and clean it up really good. I never remove the battery pack though. I'm so depressed :(

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
little bit of Blue Gold and a toothbrush and I'd bet your back in business...provided the moisture hasn't migrated thru the connector and up the wires. Did the battery pod flood?

ag

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I Think your machine will be fine. Don't know if your battery shorted out. Where is your gasket? Clean all the male/female terminals and try to give the battery a charge. If it holds a charge you should be all set. If not you can easily buy a new cell to to drop in the pod. Install takes a couple minutes and for $40 bucks your back in biz

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a Tesoro. Never breaks, lifetime warranty, I use my lowly Cibola to snag gold coins and Confederate Buckles (and a lot of nails). Mine has been dropped (more times than I'd like to admit), fallen over after being propped up against trees, snowed on, rained on, sat on (won't admit to that one), dragged across a very busy divided highway (lost my grip on it), I use the coil to move rocks and knock over downed limbs and brush, had soda spilled on it, half buried it once. Takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking! It has found 2 gold coins, one in 2013 and one this year, several gold rings and a diamond and gold ring (in September this year), TWO Confederate plates, three Union buckles/plates, Spanish silver, CW bullets and buttons, colonial stuff, whole canteens from the CW. And the list goes on. My most expensive machine ever was about $1500. Sold it about 3 months after I bought it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...So what are you trying to say Smokey? Don't be shy - we can handle it. Just come right out and tell us what's on your mind, ok?? :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to see this but Saltwater will wreck any machine, your issue was caused by the saltwater and the electrical charge of the battery affect on the area shown. This area is not water proof and if not washed clean that will happen if the machine is stored away for a few weeks. The big killer is saltwater, storage and time. Prep is the key, a good wash down,...lubing and greasing of all areas... connections, cables, gaskets and o rings..

You have the right machine but must learn it's weak spots, and it does have them but in my opinion it is one of the best.

Learn the weak spots of the machine and use these products will keep the Excalibur ready for the next hunt.

OBN0036.jpg

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I looks like you do not have the rubber gasket in place. It goes between the screw on connector and the battery pod. Or you did not tighten the cap nut that holds the connector tight to the battery pod. Without it the salt water gets into the area, acts like an electrolyte and sets up electrolysis between the two terminals destroying the contacts. This is a situation Minelab has no control over and that is why they do not warranty the two parts - connector and pod.

I witnessed a similar happening when an well experienced detectorist forgot to take his new, never used spare battery out of his pouch and ended up detecting all day in salt water. At the end of the day the pod terminals were destroyed beyond repair.

You can obtain a new battery pod cap for a reasonable cost, the battery should be fine after a recharge. A good cleaning of the three prong connector should save it. I saw gaskets on the bay-site for something like $10 for 2.

Good luck in the future and I hope you understand why this is not covered by Minelab. The Excalibur is a great detector and even with its short comings, I own two of them.

Lastly, don't forget to keep ALL sand off the gasket, one or two grains might cause it to leak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good news I was able to send it in, now time to wait!

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you will get it back soon, and be problem free for years. As long as you do prevented maintenance. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread