IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Saturday, I found what I believe is a 1911 Colt 45 handgun on the lake bed I have been artifact hunting on because of the low water. I want to clean it up regardless of whether or not it is salvageable, (which I am very doubtful about) and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to do it? I at first thought of giving it an apple cider vinegar bath to get all the rust off. I am also assuming that it is loaded, and hope to get it unloaded safely, especially the breach. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1479844988960.jpg
    1479844988960.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 1479845003379.jpg
    1479845003379.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It rather sounds to me like the gun was in its holster in an open tackle box that got accidently kicked into the lake. It would still be best to contact the law, than if nothing turns up and and no owner found you will likely get to keep it. (county sheriff's/deputies) seem the best to deal with.
If you keep it I would soak it in a pan of diesel fuel or kerosene for a couple days to free rusted parts: grip screws so they won't so easley snap,safety lever magazine release button and takedown lever. Your slide spring more than likely is ruined and will break. Bear in mind if this gun has been in mud and water very long it will be pitted to the point of being structurally weak, don't try to fire it again, also I am sure the bore will be pitted and ruined.
Assuming you get to keep it and get it apart, you could use that diesel fuel and steel wool to clean much of the surface rust off and retaining some of the original remaining finish.
By the way if you don't know how to disassemble it just Google " video on disassembling Colt 1911 A1 pistols". Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Most all gun parts save the receiver are easily available online and don't require an FFL. Correct me if I'm wrong. The point is even if some parts are ruined doesn't mean It can't be salvaged by swapping out what's broke with what ain't...
gun.gif
I collect Antique (pre-1898) S&W's and have picked up "parts" that were useless by themselves but was the one piece that I needed to bring a "broken" antique S&W back to life. I have actually bought "ruined guns" off the net and salvaged parts that worked and ended up being needed down the road. The problem now is sellers have figured out that parting out a "ruined" gun can now bring in a lot of money. Gosh I love the InterWeb! :laughing7:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is old fashioned and bullheaded like me and absolutely refuse to buy online (nor know how), there is Numrich Gun Parts Corp. in West Hurley, N. Y. Toll free order line #866-686-7424 They publish a large catalog of used gun parts.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gun is NOT stolen. Still waiting on LEO to find out if it is registered. I may get it back. :headbang:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is old fashioned and bullheaded like me and absolutely refuse to buy online (nor know how), there is Numrich Gun Parts Corp. in West Hurley, N. Y. Toll free order line #866-686-7424 They publish a large catalog of used gun parts.
gun.gif
Used them many times. Unfortunately, the real old puppies that I collect don't have most of the parts available. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread