Excal II falsing?

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
I was doing a quick beach hunt today using my Excalibur II. I usually hunt in pinpoint mode and discriminate when i hit a target to see if it is iron. The beach was full of iron , so I decided to actually hunt in descriminate mode with it set to 1. For some reason, the machine seemed to be falsing all over the place. Usually in discrim mode, the threashold would drop out when it hits iron and then get a very low thresh tone. Today it was just all over with different tones. It never was steady. I tried turning down the sensitivity but no luck.

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas? I'm going to take it to a different beach tomorrow to see if it was just super heavy mineralized sand that was effecting it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Try cleaning out your coil cover. If there is an accumulation of sand and salt it will cause all sorts of falsing

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put some silicone grease on the ikelite gasket that is on your power cable where it plugs into your battery, thin coat on both sides will make many an excal run smoother. You can buy the grease at dive shops, Lowes, Home Depot. At Lowes and Home Depot look in the plumbing department.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Try cleaning out your coil cover. If there is an accumulation of sand and salt it will cause all sorts of falsing

Mine started falsing a lot at one point during the Summer. I'd told myself that the coil cover was so tight there was no way sand & stuff could get inside it. Everything checked out otherwise, but I took the coil cover off anyway.

And it was absolutely loaded up. Cleaned it, turned it on, and went back to normal operation.

Clean that cover. Also, take a look at what TH said above = very important.

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Thanks guys....i appreciate the help....The yellow coil cover is on so tight, i almost want to believe its not a cover at all. Ill give that a try and also try the grease too.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I clean my coil cover after each use and EVERY time it is loaded with sand.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case anyone gives a hoot...

I use no coil cover... ever...
UNLESS working real rocky or heavy shell areas.

Start work on perfecting your swing... which can take some time...
once it is mastered you will be able to not look back at a cover unless needed for "unseen" protections.

To me... coil covers are like "training wheels" are to a bike...
Once you learn how to ride you can take them off.

IMO... they are just an "extra" protection...
Coils like the X2 coil are built tuff... and yes they can be damaged...
But this is mute for really its all in the swing and the skill therein.

If hunting sands... IMO... coil covers only hinder.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the coil covers on the excal to me are very easy to come off......snap, its off, wash with fresh water after each use and away you go. AARC, you could have a good point
on how you use yours, but I just can't make myself do it your way yet.....maybe I should...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've left my coil cover off for a number of hunts now. I checked it out a few days ago and there's scratches there. Coil cover is going back on prior to my next use.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0255.JPG I have always been torn between using a cover, It seems that it would take a lot to wear through the coil to get to the coil wire. Has anybody worn through their coil? Then again if you ever want to sell it in the future, a nice clean coil can do wonders for a sale.
I don't use on on my CZ-21 due to its so hard to get the coil off, but I do know you can make little half inch cuts on the side that makes it easy to get a screw diver in, that's what I did on my old Fisher impulse.

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor