ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are they asking if you don't mind. ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else to check when you check the coil and headphones, look at the cabling, if it is starting to look like it has a white chalky dust on it the cable insulation is starting to break down and will start cracking.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the earphones on, turn it on and move it and the headphone cord around to make sure the sound does not cut out.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find out the last time it was serviced, like the O-rings and the battery.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Something else to check when you check the coil and headphones, look at the cabling, if it is starting to look like it has a white chalky dust on it the cable insulation is starting to break down and will start cracking.

TH,

If one found this, would cleaning and covering with silicone grease, or something like that, extend the life of the cabling?

Patcat recommended I do that for my own equipment period, and there's no sign of any trouble right now. Water hunting is up for the season up here now, so I still need to attend to that, and will. I know I've seen this recommendation many times here.

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find out the last time it was serviced, like the O-rings and the battery.

Thx for reply...
What would that tell me, do they require scheduled maintenance? Or is there a way to tell if whatever date they tell me is accurate?
Or Would I want to avoid one that's been serviced or not serviced? Thx again

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the earphones on, turn it on and move it and the headphone cord around to make sure the sound does not cut out.

Thx for reply, should I find that there is an issue how much money am I looking at to get it repaired??

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Look at the battery pod's terminals. There should be no corrosion and the black plastic gasket should be in place.
Make sure you get the charger and the adapter for charging.
Check coil for cracks and there is a coil cover included.
Make sure all controls rotate smoothly and that the PinPoint control's stop is working properly, I.e. only about a 30 degree rotation.
Look for any visual water marks inside the tubes.
Look for signs of overly tightened cable ties used to hold the coil wire to the shaft. Use of electrical tape is better than cable ties.
Audio from right and left side of headphones.
Ask about battery life...should be over 12 hours of detecting time. If less than 10, you'll be in for a new battery soon.
And of course look for any physical damage to the entire detector.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could just get a CZ-21 and forget about all the Excal's vulnerabilities. Not trying to be a smart alec, but a used Excal - at a time when ML non-warranty repairs are taking several months to process - might not be a good bet.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beach hunting requires a GOOD Minelab.......just saying :occasion14:

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Keep looking till you find a used water machine that's a year or less old. Bought a c21 that was 4 months old for half price on eBay.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for reply, should I find that there is an issue how much money am I looking at to get it repaired??

I'm not sure, I'm getting ready to send my blue 1000 in to be fixed for this very problem. I'll let you know what they charge me. Good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New stock headphones are $150 plus $75 installation labor, Gray Ghost Amphibians are $150 and $112.50 labor installation. If o-rings are bad add $8.00 in parts (17 o-rings) and $37.50 more in labor if done at same time. If knobs are hard to turn o-rings have dried out and need replacing.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remembered ... twas gonna post this eons ago... for those here on T-net...
But my A.D.D. must have taken over ...

this is in regards to "maintenance" per your inquiry...

Here is what seems to be a little known (amongst detectorists) "tool" in my bag of tricks... and I love it.

Sold at Home Depot and elsewhere.

20140509165726Z22PM7MQDTOVC_full.jpg

PS >... Spray on ... let sit over night... take fuzzy towel the next day and clean.

O-rings... very small droplet on each.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remembered ... twas gonna post this eons ago... for those here on T-net...
But my A.D.D. must have taken over ...

this is in regards to "maintenance" per your inquiry...

Here is what seems to be a little known (amongst detectorists) "tool" in my bag of tricks... and I love it.

Sold at Home Depot and elsewhere.

View attachment 1398546

PS >... Spray on ... let sit over night... take fuzzy towel the next day and clean.

O-rings... very small droplet on each.

I would not use that on o-rings, it has petroleum solvent in it, not good for the o-rings at all... Each pot switch on a Excal has 3 o-rings unless you take your excal apart you can only get to the top o-ring, you can't get to the one below it or the one on the inside. I recommend Mcnett silicone spray. (Thanks To OBN) Used on scuba gear.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/silicone-spray

Last edited:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
only 4 small screws to check the condition of the speakers, these work but 1 has a higher volume,water is getting in and slowly corroding the speaker.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 61

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks for cracks on the pod in the knob areas. Check to ensure it has the rubber to the battery pod.... and check that pod for severe cracks on the cap. Put it IN water..... listen to see if the threshold raises or you get crackling in the phones. Turn each knob to ensure they stop...... especially the threshold and sensitivity. Looks for separation on the bottom of the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread