OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting!

Interesting, for sure. Like everything else in the field it's not 100% foolproof but it is a good technique/tool to have in your arsenal. It's also a good technique for the quick pinpointing of targets when the sweeps are kept quick and short. The thing I find most interesting about it is the accuracy of the returns, hard to figure since the coil is moving back and forth so rapidly. I use this technique "a lot" when I'm in disc mode.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) I'm not disputing the effect you describe, and
2) I'm not a physicist, but...
3) theres no way you can swing a coil fast enough to appreciably affect the frequency sent into the subsurface. which brings us to
4) I'm too lazy to do the math to prove it.

I cant try it at the moment, but if your effect is real, there is a different explanation.

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Will try that this week

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
bigscoop, I'm enjoying your videos. Also like the music intro and exit :) Thanx. A few comments on this one:

Yes, today's discriminators are "motion" discriminators. Not NEAR as much as yester-year earlier advent of motion discriminators (6000D, 6DB, 8500's, RB7, etc...). The motion needed has been slowed way down since the early 1980s. However, yes, a bit of motion is still needed. And yes, there is subtle depth difference depending on swing speed.

However, another factor this isn't taking into effect, is target separation. What you're saying is true for depth on individual targets , like on the beach, where they are likely separate and distinctly physically separate from each other. But if the task is trying to discern signals apart from each other (or to aid in "averaging" of 2 targets combined), then in those cases, "slower" will be needed. To "wiggle" around (turning 90*, trying varying swing speeds) to try to isolate any one particular signal. Sure that might mean a tad loss of depth. But on the other hand, you're now separating targets better.

So for ghost-towsny stuff, nail-ridden old-town demolition sites, etc.... "fast" (to achieve the maximum depth) might not be the task-at-hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread