Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
Hi,
I just got a new RNB lithium battery pack EX-3000 and charger. There is no info on the charger as to when the pack reaches full charge.
I understand the led goes red or green but which is it on full charge? I hate these led's what are suppose to change color but are very vague especially if like me you are color blind somewhat.
I checked the pack when it arrived with my multi meter and it was showing 11.30 volts so put it on charge but I have difficulty seeing if the charger was on red. It looked Green to me!
If it was red its NOT very "Red"
Anyway anyone know what is the packs voltage supposed to be fully charged?
Thanks. Martin.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should have 15 volts +/- a few 10's fully charged just like the stock Excal batteries. The voltage wasn't increased over the stock battery, just the amp hours which is how long the battery lasts before the discharge drops to a point it cant power the excal. Once the battery drops down below 12 volts there is not enough voltage to power the circuits on the excal.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
I thought it ran on 12 volts???

It should have 15 volts +/- a few 10's fully charged just like the stock Excal batteries. The voltage wasn't increased over the stock battery, just the amp hours which is how long the battery lasts before the discharge drops to a point it cant power the excal. Once the battery drops down below 12 volts there is not enough voltage to power the circuits on the excal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it ran on 12 volts???

Brand new batteries, even stock when fully charged will be 14.5-15+/- few 10s of a volt. Check a new fully charged battery. As the battery ages over time the max voltage from a full charge drops.

OP
OP
L

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
Hi,
thanks for replies but still want to find out about the color of the led on the EX-300 Charger.
As to batt volts, my original Excal Ni-cads would maybe show towards 13.5 volts for a very short time after charge. Both Ni- Cad pods, especially the new Minelab one I bought (when I lived in Florida) for back up didn't last long.
I got a Strikalite (UK) Ni-MH 1400mAh pack to replace one pod pack a while ago. This shows around 13-8 volts after being sat for an hour or so after overnight charge 13-14 hours.
Just checked the EX 3000 Lithium pack what has been on charge for over the past 3 hours and its now showing 12.60 V (from the 11+ volts it was showing when it arrived. The led on the charger is green so I assume its fully charged.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, green=full charge. Red=charging. Mine takes a max of 2 hours to get a full charge from when it's low enough to get the low battery warning. I have one for my Excalibur and one for my E-trac. Great batteries! I recently got the one for my Excalibur and have yet to recharge it and that was over a month ago. I must have over 40 hours on it by now! The one for my E-trac is about 2 years old now. I haven't seen any decrease in hunting time so far. There again, I get 35-45 hours on a charge depending on whether I have the light on or not.

OP
OP
L

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
Yes, green=full charge. Red=charging. Mine takes a max of 2 hours to get a full charge from when it's low enough to get the low battery warning. I have one for my Excalibur and one for my E-trac. Great batteries! I recently got the one for my Excalibur and have yet to recharge it and that was over a month ago. I must have over 40 hours on it by now! The one for my E-trac is about 2 years old now. I haven't seen any decrease in hunting time so far. There again, I get 35-45 hours on a charge depending on whether I have the light on or not.
Cheers. I've heard they last forever on a full charge. :icon_thumleft: Could have done with such a good battery before.
Just have to fix the cracks in the pod now! :BangHead:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My EX3000 charges to 12.5 and that's it... Green light is on ...I've ran it down to 11.5 volts and still runs fine on the excal.. very different then stock.. for every .1 drop in Volts I get 2 to 3 hours hunt time, they say there good for 60 hours but I've yet to try that...

Let me change that .1 v drop remark, looks like its about 5 hours..just checked it after two hunts

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
My EX3000 charges to 12.5 and that's it... Green light is on ...I've ran it down to 11.5 volts and still runs fine on the excal.. very different then stock.. for every .1 drop in Volts I get 2 to 3 hours hunt time, they say there good for 60 hours but I've yet to try that...

Let me change that .1 v drop remark, looks like its about 5 hours..just checked it after two hunts
Yes, I believe LiPos are better in all regards by what I can gather.
I found some good info regarding them here. https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I believe LiPos are better in all regards by what I can gather.
I found some good info regarding them here. https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

Yes I have been using one for almost 4 years now and it still has a killer punch, I went for the EX3000 for it is alot cheaper then the one I have been using and I wanted a back up..

OBN0290.jpg OBN0148 (3).jpg

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One thing you HAVE to check is that the charger to battery pack adapter is good.

I had one go bad where the internal solder joint broke loose from the center pin and one where the screw inside the connector that holds the other end of the internal wire came loose. Both conditions caused what I first thought was a battery failure. Both were only a 5 minute fix. Just make sure you do not put the adapter back together with the locating screw in in the wrong position. Mark the adapter well and write the info down so you do not forget how to reassemble the adapter. When taking anything apart I find it useful to take photos as I disassemble anything! The photos have been their worth in gold. With today's smartphones and digital cameras there is no cost as there was back in the day of the Brownie 126 film camera or the Polaroid camera. Snap on...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread