Where The Gold Is - Finding/Hunting Golden Trenches

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very educational bigscoop. What about the areas where the trench water breaks thru the sandbar and returns to the sea? Any thoughts?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very educational bigscoop. What about the areas where the trench water breaks thru the sandbar and returns to the sea? Any thoughts?

As long as the bottom is firm it should all be checked/hunted. In the summer these areas are generally filled in and there's a lot of traffic on this area of the beach. However, the area you speak of is often too deep and the currents too risky.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As long as the bottom is firm it should all be checked/hunted. In the summer these areas are generally filled in and there's a lot of traffic on this area of the beach. However, the area you speak of is often too deep and the currents too risky.

Thanks for the tip bigscoop

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big scoop. Don't give all the secrets away. Ron lord will start to complain. Lol

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And I thought I was the only one using Google Earth to check out deep places...Dang.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I thought I was the only one using Google Earth to check out deep places...Dang.

Not sure if youre joking, but Minelab's xChange2 uses Google maps.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi, what depth of water are we talking about in these trenches?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, what depth of water are we talking about in these trenches?

Well, they can be cut over your head, however, generally I'm looking for those trenches that I can effectively hunt, say up to chest deep. But I've also done well in trenches that were only knee deep. Just depends on where and how the trench is cut. Some sections of beach will be naturally firmer then others, denser layers/pockets of sand and shell-pack being much closer to the surface so not near as much overburden has to be removed in order to access those firmer layers. You just have to check each one out to see what the deal is. If the sand in the trench is still soft and mushy and all you're getting in your scoop is fine sand then it's probably best to look for a different trench, one that has a firm bottom where you get chunky pieces of shell and clay in your scoop. These are the layers/pockets that will support denser items like gold rings.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video and talk. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread