Greenie
Feb 25, 2017
Israel
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus XP, Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second that "you couldn't pay me to put my face in the water."

Personally, I don't think you'll find much in the water out there. People don't really "play" in the Dead Sea... they just go out and float. The high salinity (like 33-34%) makes it feel like slick oil. It's heavy, dense, and sticks to everything... and the moment you wipe your eyes, you'll regret it. That high of a salt content is BRUTAL on the face. It's 10x saltier than the ocean!

BUT... if you could get the detector out to the site, the water level has dropped by something like 30 feet since they originally installed the recreation area. There's going to be a lot of dry land that will be where thousands of people once "floated." If there's drops/losses, you quite likely could find them there. But, I'll also tell you that you couldn't pay me to put my equipment in that stuff, either.

I brought back a salt chunk from the last time I went, and it still felt greasy 3 years later. That water is definitely something else! Also, unlike beaches along tourist areas, be aware that historical sites are a no no. You can be cited for just having a detector in those areas (according to the law). I don't know how well they enforce it, but it's worth noting. That being said, I don't recall any "rangers" out in that area, either... LOL

Cheers!

SKippy

Totally agree!

OP
OP
Agent Mulder

Agent Mulder

Greenie
Feb 25, 2017
Israel
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus XP, Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Skippy for all the detail.
Can the Dead Sea bottom be sifted with a sand scoop or do you need to dig into hard material?
I get the impression a mask and snorkel may not work here.
Is the Ein Gedi waterfall considered an historic site?
What was your experience getting gear in and out of the country?
Anywhere to hunt near Haifa or Tiberias?

Best Regards,

Tek
Ein Gedi waterfall is very historic!
Near Haifa you can hunt all the beaches!Tiberias not so good too beacause of history!
cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread