FBS detector for Salt Water Beach?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning fella's, have a question. For a "Salt Water" beach, like So. Calif, I've been given to understand that a "Full Band Spectrum" detector will handle that type of detecting over a "Single Band" type. I have a one shot trip to So. Calif around Newport/Balboa area, and have the Garrett AT Pro, & a Minelab Safari. I'' be on dry and wet sand only, not in the water, and so far the FBS sounds like the type to use. Been detecting 25+ years, but almost never on the those type of beaches. You guys do have the experience, can you offer any advice?

Upvote 0

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I was looking for a wet salt sand detector, I did tons of reading and research on the project. I ended up with an Explorer SE. From what I read, the ATPro may or may not be ok, depending upon how much black sand there is, and how black it is. The Explorer (similar to the Safari) has done quite well in the wet salt for me. I get just a slight chatter when I first hit the water, but it quickly recovers, (we're talking less then 2 seconds at most), and then it's stable.

I would bring the Safari. I think your chances of a stable hut will be much better with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind you need to use an environmental cover to protect electronics from the salt mist in the air which can enter through the holes in the controls.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, FBS rocks on saltwater beaches. Yes, you need to wrap that puppy up because salt-air will get into the control box. It's not an immediate problem but over a few years can cause corrosion on exposed components and PCBs resulting in failure.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for sneaker waves!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The Excal is a proven machine for salt water. You might note that it is not actually FBS technology with 28 frequencies. It's BBS technology (a predecessor) with 17 frequencies, and time proven, since the late 90's. The Minelab Sovereign uses BBS technology as well, but can't be dunked in the water.

Those sneaker waves? Go with the Excal!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for sneaker waves!

They WILL happen, which is why I never recommend getting into the water with a non-waterproof model. Drops and waves happen and then thats hundreds of $$$ gone in a flash. Great for dry and wet sand though.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do take a non-submersible machine in the water, you may want to get a tether that will help keep it out of the water. I found scooping while making sure the machine stayed high 'n dry was not as easy as it sounds when the waves are pushing things around. Even with a tether, I still keep one hand on the machine.

Here's what I use:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...of-machine-users-post5319986.html#post5319986

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the reply's fella's, the Safari it will be. As I said, I won't be IN the water, but if ever I should start, I would have a whole different machine, and I am aware of "sneaker" waves, but good to point out for others. It's a 5 day trip, and hope to go for the gold that people wear to and lose at the beach. Again, the Safari it will be for this little trip. Thank you, Dave

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted my Safari several weeks a year at the beach (SC, NC, and FLA) for several years until I got my Excal. The Safari is every bit as good in a salt environment as it is on dirt.

Agree with all the protections above, of course, but if you are only using it on dry and damp as you say, you'll be fine + wont be undergunned to anything except a PI machine.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safari will be great out there. Hope you're an early riser. Dawn patrol is out at 6am ;) I got to the beach at 9am today and some of my friends had already hit 3 different beaches looking for cuts.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfleks, early riser is no problem, after many years of habit on the job, 3AM is sleeping in for me, and again fella's, in spite of everything one can read about this topic or any other in regards to detecting, best source are people on this forum who have already been there and done that. Thank you.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfleks, early riser is no problem, after many years of habit on the job, 3AM is sleeping in for me, and again fella's, in spite of everything one can read about this topic or any other in regards to detecting, best source are people on this forum who have already been there and done that. Thank you.

Huntington/Balboa/CDM/Laguna/San Clemente are my stomping grounds, ask away.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
Check for metal detecting stores in that area to see if they rent detectors such as excalibur ii or pi machines so you can detect in the water as you will find more in the water than wet sand unless you can hunt low tide each time and even then going into the water at low tide improves your finds.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfleks, I promise I won't clean out the all the beaches, I'll leave a few rings etc. But let me ask, I will take the Safari for this short trip, but I do also have a Minelab X-Terra 70, with 18Kz coil and a "Beach" mode. Haven't used it in a couple of years, but any thoughts on IT? One more thing, Goldfleks, Since the area is your stomping grounds, and you ARE a T-Net Forum member, I will do my best to clean out all the "Pull Tabs" I can find before your next hunt. It's the very least I can do.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Best of luck when down in our neck of the woods. If you do Huntington Beach, detect around the pier area.
For coins, Bolsa is a huge stretch of beach with maybe a few finds but it can be like walking in the desert.
Closer to the hotels (in front of) one has a better chance of finding jewelry.
Don't forget your sandscoop and if you do I got an extra one I will lend you.

IMG_1501.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generous offer Rusty, but I'm good. Bought a long handled scoop couple of years ago, and it's still pretty much Inexperienced yet. Looking forward detecting without getting down and the back up again 50 million times.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Popular tourist beach stops are your best bet. You'll pay parking meters for most of them or $5/hr $15.00 for all day parking for others. Not sure where you plan on staying but look into UBER fares from your hotel to the beach. If you can get there and back in under $15.00 it will save you money. Or have someone drop you off.

Corona Del Mar beach you can park for free on Ocean Avenue, it's a smaller beach but pretty popular. It had great cuts after lucifer, but it's semi sanded in right now. Doheny beach you can also park for free if you park across the railroad tracks, and not in the beach parking lot.

I'd suggest getting a trial membership for surfline.com so you can get beach cams, reports and tide times.

Most of it's luck and right place, right time. And please, take all the canslaw home you want ;)

As far as your machines, I haven't used them personally. I know my Whites MXT with SALT setting was awful on the beach, and the primary reason I purchased a second detector was so I could use it in the water.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfleks, you guys really know your stuff down there, thank you for the further input. Can slaw, well, we DO seem to have an abundance of it here, but can always use more! Thanks for the go ahead on that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread