OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be an interesting option on the Excalibur. I wonder if OBN has played with that idea?

Yes, I asked him this very thing and long ago he did get it to work but ditched it because he felt he was spending too much time analyzing the meter, which I fully understand. However, that was a long time ago and he isn't 100% sure of the wiring and nowhere can there be found a full schematic for the Sov and Excal to compare. I do know that the Sov has six wires compared to the Excal's 5 so it could be that there is an extra circuit in the Sov that has to be accounted for? We tried a "Ron's" meter on the Excal that works just fine on the Sov but won't on the Excal even though we are setup to swap coils between the two machines. So something is different somewhere?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that true on both the Sword and the Blues?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that true on both the Sword and the Blues?

Don't know. We've only compared the Sov and Excal (old blue). We have 2 old blues and Sov's that we can swap coils from one to the next, this way we can keep our coil selection to a minimum. But there is something different regarding the meter that we just haven't figured out yet, but eventually will. :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that the Sword model is wired different than the blues and 2's.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigScoop, TH, and Cuda,
I get it, you all have techniques that work for you on the locations that you hunt and you can ID an earring backing that is almost 2 feet deep. But the real question that is begging to be asked is.....What type of scoop are you using to recover an item that small? The holes in the scoops I am about to buy are way too big to keep an item that small in the scoop. It may seem like a silly question, but I am serious. If I am going to invest time in trying to recover items, I want to do it as efficiently as possible (lol, don't we all).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a pin pointer to recover items that fall through the scoop holes. You can also get a Stealth Hybrid scoop that has smaller holes in the bottom section to help capture those tiny items.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a pin pointer to recover items that fall through the scoop holes. You can also get a Stealth Hybrid scoop that has smaller holes in the bottom section to help capture those tiny items.

You can also put gutter screen on bottom of scoop, I did it years ago on my Beach Brute II and it is still there and working. I have found several diamond earring studs with it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigScoop, TH, and Cuda,
I get it, you all have techniques that work for you on the locations that you hunt and you can ID an earring backing that is almost 2 feet deep. But the real question that is begging to be asked is.....What type of scoop are you using to recover an item that small? The holes in the scoops I am about to buy are way too big to keep an item that small in the scoop. It may seem like a silly question, but I am serious. If I am going to invest time in trying to recover items, I want to do it as efficiently as possible (lol, don't we all).

Honestly, I for one am not all the interested in anything that falls through my scoop these days and "two feet deep" is a pretty good stretch even with big coils and on fairly large gold rings. Maybe in a test garden and with perfect conditions but this is seldom encountered in the actual field. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I installed gutter mesh in Beach Brute II scoop and The Stealth 990 I Hybrid comes with holes to catch the stud earrings.

I have personally dug targets over 20" as has others hunting in reverse discrimination with large coils.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, I've hit targets at 20" as well, but certainly not with any routine and of the few I have hit at that depth most of these were fairly large targets, a silver quarter, a large silver mans ring, a 14k class ring, a 14k large old signet ring, etc. Of these, none of them came from water deeper then about knee deep and most of them came in Disc mode rather then PP mode. In CJC's book, "Advanced Field Methods" he even touches on how, and why, PP mode can be negatively effected as saltwater depth and motion is increased, often to the point where Disc is actually deeper and more efficient then PP. I've even run into this same thing up here in Indiana while hunting on land with the machine. So clearly the "PP is always deeper and more efficient" statement isn't accurate. As for the larger coil, and for these same general reasons, I've even seen times where I can clearly get more depth and efficiency out of the smaller coil because there is far less strata/matrix/mineralization being sampled, which in turn allows for greater sensitivity.

What has really become apparent to me since moving back to Indiana is just how much the strata and matrix and even the surrounding environment can effect machine performance, even seemingly insignificant conditions such as dense clay VS peat moss VS loose sand VS gravel, etc., etc. Seems I'm having to constantly keep my machine running in balance up here, which honestly, I would have thought would have been the other way around, the saltwater conditions in Florida being more of a problem.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own, In the 3 years I have hunted in reverse discrimination, I am constantly digging targets that all metal sees but discrimination never sees till I remove a couple scoops of sand. I trust what I personally experience and see, what is said in books I take with a grain of salt, primary point and purpose of books is sales, I have read many on detecting and see many statements in several that are completely wrong.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own, In the 3 years I have hunted in reverse discrimination, I am constantly digging targets that all metal sees but discrimination never sees till I remove a couple scoops of sand. I trust what I personally experience and see, what is said in books I take with a grain of salt, primary point and purpose of books is sales, I have read many on detecting and see many statements in several that are completely wrong.

I think most of us relate our experience within our own environments, thus the reason why there are so many differences of opinion. When I was on the beaches in Florida everyday I would have no problem being in total agreement with you, however, having experienced a radical change in environment I can now fully appreciate a lot of those other opinions and experiences. Truth is simply this, there are no blanket settings or techniques for every environment/condition encountered and in fact what might work well in one environment might not work so well at all in others, just as I'm experiencing this very thing for myself. So blanket statements should, as you say, be taken with a grain of salt conditional to where and what environment they come from.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most of us relate our experience within our own environments, thus the reason why there are so many differences of opinion. When I was on the beaches in Florida everyday I would have no problem being in total agreement with you, however, having experienced a radical change in environment I can now fully appreciate a lot of those other opinions and experiences. Truth is simply this, there are no blanket settings or techniques for every environment/condition encountered and in fact what might work well in one environment might not work so well at all in others, just as I'm experiencing this very thing for myself. So blanket statements should, as you say, be taken with a grain of salt conditional to where and what environment they come from.

100% correct.
Those that wont experiment and cling doggedly to the settings/techniques that have worked for them in the past are missing not just finds, but a lot of the fun that is the adventure of exploration in metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread