Tethering the scoop ?

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you you use to keep your scoop from taking off in the waves and current? I have the arm cuff strap that keeps the detector at bay but sometimes the scoop gets away or slips out of my hand. Don't want to loose the ole favorite Stealth!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't actually attached anything to mine, but I've heard of people that have attached lanyard from their waist to their lift assist handle.

Also there is a company called Anderson Detector Shafts (sorry I can't post a link as I don't think they are a sponsor), but they make an awesome carbon fiber shaft for scoops that float.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hook a tether to a tool caddy on my belt; it stays put most of the time but will release if too much stress is put on it. Don't want to be attached to something like that if I get into wave trouble. I also attach a cheap emergency life preserver to the scoop in case it stealthily gets away from me and for the obvious reason. I don't use a tether tho unless I am in at least waist deep water.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you you use to keep your scoop from taking off in the waves and current? I have the arm cuff strap that keeps the detector at bay but sometimes the scoop gets away or slips out of my hand. Don't want to loose the ole favorite Stealth!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My hand! If you've ever been hit by a rough wave, and they happen all the time, you'll understand why I don't want anything attached to my body that I can't be quickly and easily free of. The larger the wave the more powerful the runoff and undercurrent. It only had to happen to me once.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't tether mine either. I figure if the surf is high and rough enough to knock it out of my hand, I hunt there another day.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I don't tether mine either. I figure if the surf is high and rough enough to knock it out of my hand, I hunt there another day.
Well Said Cuda

For calm water and wet sand I use a dog collar attached about 1/2 way down the handle I can carry or drag my scoop but when I get a target all I have to do is raise my arm and the scoop aligns itself in the palm of my hand I grab it and dig, I also use the strap to pull the scoop out of a deep silty hole when it is full and heavy.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 79

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rather lose my scoop than my hand.

OP
OP
Mudflap

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Point taken. Good idea!

Was detecting this evening, the gulf Surf was rough with rip warnings posted so just hit the blanket line and finally had to give up as the wind was sandblasting something fierce. Looked like a desert dust storm!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being anchored to a 5 lb scoop in an emergency isn't my cup of tea, drowning is not an option in my hunting. Make your handle buoyant and you want lose it.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a bike inner tube but it will rub off on you and your shirt or shoulder will have a black streak.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just last month came close to getting caught in Rip current. Also common to step into hole or deep pit over your head even in a river. I'd NEVER tie my scoop to me. Flotation of scoop handle is way to go.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foam fill handle IF your handle is hollow.

IF you handle is solid... buy a colored pool noodle from Wal Mart and cut into a section and slit then zip tie below your grip area.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing how a pool noodle can make ya smile...

664fe0249e61352f5292474fda001c55.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing how a pool noodle can make ya smile...

View attachment 1438270
LOL.

After that scoop has hit those shin bones and ankle bones a few times, you'll look for a long rope to tie to it, LOL.
Dang scoop has almost taken me down, can you say "OUCH"...... lol.
Speaking of noodle uses....... same kinda principal can be applied to that scoop handle,
but for different reasons. :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright how did you build that? That is very cool.

Atually I did not make that one... but I will say this...

PVC skinny 3/4 or less... a coupler... some PVC solvent / glue... a noodle... mesh screen from AC unit... OH The all plastic... not coated wire... (this is for pinpointing in mesh)...
And a pack of zip ties... "D" ring... OR "A" / triangle ring... some line... and a snap hook.

Take PVC pipe and bend into desired circle...apply coupler and glue and hold for a minute till good.
LAy PVC circle over the mesh... and cut INNER side of circle.

Cut the noodle ... face cut inward and attach noodle... insert precut mesh circle into slit in noodle and work your way around applying zip ties.

Attach clip to last 2 zips... tie knot.. (:P)... attach clip... Tie another knot.

DONE ! :)

All available at any home depot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread