Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Friends,

I will be traveling to Aruba for a week of detecting in July. I want to get a travel shaft for my Excal and wanted some recommendations for a travel on the plane? Would you get a Plugger or Anderson shaft. I prefer to get graphite shaft. How would you pack it for travel? I bought a plano hardcase for my CTX. I plan on taking both.

I would also like to get a travel handle for my stealth 920 scoop any recommendations? Thanks for your suggestions. Best regards.

Upvote 0

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Plugger three part carbon fiber travel shaft. The shaft is great, but the travel part is a little problematic. I haven't been able to figures out an easy way to pack the detector without taking it completely apart. That in itself doesn't seem unreasonable, however the Excalibur coil cable is heavy, stiff, and difficult to work with. Therefore I really don't like taking it apart.

For a long vacation it might be worth taking it all apart for travel. But for a drive to the beach, it just isn't worth it. Hopefully someone else has some better suggestions. Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Plugger 3 piece CF over/under fits in a 25" case just fine if put in diagonally. I do take the coil off the lower rod so I can carry-on the detector/coil/headphone assembly. TSA did not like the rods in carry on. I can pack my RTG travel stainless steel scoop in the checked baggage also.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
I'm heading to Aruba in June. I'll try to leave something for you! I have been traveling outside the country, using mainly Southwest. They allow two checked, one carry-on overhead, and one personal. For my personal, I take a backpack which contains my CZ21 coil/control/head-phones. One of my checked bags is a long soft bag which contains my 42" SS scoop and my broken down shaft, which I wrap in bubble wrap. Also back up scoop and snorkeling gear. Have been to Aruba, Mexico, Dominican, Puerto Rico with no issues. Most TSA are familiar with metal detectors. Hope this helps.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I also have the plugger shaft which works great. I duct tape the extra holes to help keep sand out. I've had some problems getting it apart so keeping as much sand out as possible is a good idea. I have a large travel scoop which I purchased from Reillys treasure products. I keep it just for travel. always pack rods, diggers and batteries in your checked luggage.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the plugger shaft which works great. I duct tape the extra holes to help keep sand out. I've had some problems getting it apart so keeping as much sand out as possible is a good idea. I have a large travel scoop which I purchased from Reillys treasure products. I keep it just for travel. always pack rods, diggers and batteries in your checked luggage.

How old is your Plugger cntrydncr1? Does it have the new locking mechanism or cam locks?

Here is the current locking mechanism.

IMG_3492.JPG

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Plugger three part carbon fiber travel shaft. The shaft is great, but the travel part is a little problematic. I haven't been able to figures out an easy way to pack the detector without taking it completely apart. That in itself doesn't seem unreasonable, however the Excalibur coil cable is heavy, stiff, and difficult to work with. Therefore I really don't like taking it apart.

For a long vacation it might be worth taking it all apart for travel. But for a drive to the beach, it just isn't worth it. Hopefully someone else has some better suggestions. Tt

I got around that by calculating how much slack I would need at each section and have the cable coiled loosely and secured with Velcro at those points. The remainder was tightly coiled & secured around the shaft between the cuff and handle. So to remove the sections, the Velcro is released allowing enough slack in the cable to remove.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread