2nd water hunt in a row with sterling silver

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Out with Steve in the water again today, the first location gave me a whole clad dime. The second beach was really crowded. As I was scooping out another dime and brought my Stealth 920iX up out of the water a little boy grabbed my scoop, but I immediately dropped the scoop back into the water and seriously warned him that scoop was very sharp, he could hurt himself. The little chigger went away after that.

I went into deeper water, turned and headed back to shore and hit a big signal. I pulled it up and thought I had a watch, then saw it was a bracelet. Very privately stuck it in my pocket - there must have been over 20 people in that tiny spot. I thought it was junk, just didn't care to have another bunch of kids swamping me.

A nasty thunderstorm popped up and we got out of the water back to Steve's van. Then I showed Steve and he pulled out his 6X magnifier and found a sterling stamp on the tag. He'd found a very nice bracelet himself :)

The bracelet was a cheap watch band, so I took it off and weighed the tag = 14 grams sterling :)

Tue Jun 13 15-45-57.jpg Tue Jun 13 15-45-09.jpg Tue Jun 13 15-47-39.jpg

I've got the name of the person who lost it, so I'll do a wee bit of investigation to see if I can return it.

I also found $1.02 in clad! But the day was made by my second sterling in a row water hunting. Did some dirt digging a couple days before with only $4.36 in clad.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a Nice chunk of sterling...been sterling I would say it maybe a few years old...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys going to leave something for this old dog? I hate to come down there find nothing and come home like a wounded hound empty handed.

hqdefault.jpg

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys going to leave something for this old dog? I hate to come down there find nothing and come home like a wounded hound empty handed.

I told Steve today that you may be coming down. Steve said we'll have to find a good place to take you, got a few in mind we haven't hit yet, and likely have never been hit :) Some deep water there, but enough shallow Steve & I can hit.

We don't know how deep the "dark" area is.

The back of the bracelet tag has a lady's name "Love Fran 12-25-53". We've hit this tiny spot several times before and judging by the depth, it was a recent drop.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I love that dated treasure!! Gives it the personal side of someones life..That's a Great Save!!

And Now Big deal on the hunting, be nice to set in my chair and watch you guys dig around in the water...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I love that dated treasure!! Gives it the personal side of someones life..That's a Great Save!!
And Now Big deal on the hunting, be nice to set in my chair and watch you guys dig around in the water...

Thank you,

Now, I'd kinda like to watch you and learn my friend!!! You're one of the heros here on TNet! Me, I'm a tadpole in the water!

Keep the faith!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Update! Both Steve and I were looking for the owners of the sterling tag. Mine fell flat, but Steve found a phone number from New York - I call the number and left a message yesterday. The owner's son called me a half hour ago and we talked for a bit - and I'm convinced it is the right family.

The owner, John Mahusky is 89 years old and in assisted living. His wife Fran passed away some years ago. They married in 1955, but she gave him the bracelet 12-25-53.

His son said they've never been in Virginia, so how it got here is just pure speculation. It was a fresh drop. The son has never seen the bracelet.

The first place I hit in town will be the post office. This will be one of the true delights of that family's life, and I feel great!

Keep the faith all!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done ADS. I like engraved items, something about a direct link to a specific person just seems cool.

I wish you the very best.

PS: Just a hint, kids hate pepper spray.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's off in Priority Mail!

I pray John Mahusky is still cognizant enough to remember it. Since he's in assisted living, I'd think so.

I can't imagine how he will react - most likely in tears, but of joy. I hope so anyway. There's so little in this world to delight us anymore.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well how cool is that !! Great work trackin that one down.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you heard anything from the family yet? Can't wait to hear their response.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I had to run up to Detroit Friday, and just returned Monday. My youngest daughter is in college up there, was stuck in the I-75 rush hour, stopped, and nailed by a utility truck. There were four vehicles involved and she was the first one hit and drove the others into each other. Front End damage was total, as was rear end damage. So, I had to run up there to get her situated again. Got her another car, 2006 Ford Fusion. She's okay, but having headaches.

With my return, I've heard nothing from the family. I'd really love to know what has happened.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad she is ok. I-75 around Detroit is a zoo, at least it was several times I have driven it. Will be driving it next month up to the UP.
Really cool on tracking that family down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a response!!!

Mr. Turner,

Thank you so much for returning my father’s bracelet that he received from my mom 64 years ago. I will be visiting him tonight to give it to him and I will let you know how it goes and the story behind the bracelet.

Tom

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty darn cool. Cant wait to here the story behind the bracelet.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally received a response from his son, I guess he was disappointed at his father's response. But he did give it to his son to keep, so that's okay.

Hi Roger,

Thanks again for returning the bracelet.

When my mom died on January 13 of 2016, my dad was devastated and lost. They had been married for 61 years. She did everything for him, cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of all of the bills and banking, keeping track of his schedule and Dr. appointments… In the weeks after her passing, he went through all her belongings, photos, diaries, notebooks numerous times. I think that was his way of staying connected to her. As time went on, his connection to her memory seemed to fade as his efforts were now directed at taking care of himself and all of those chores that my mom had always done for him. After a few months, it became evident to my sister (Cc’ed above) and I that living alone, taking care of his house and himself and now no longer being able to drive (as we had to take his car away for safety reasons) was no longer an option and we moved him to an assisted living community. He fit in quite well and he likes the people that live there and the workers that work there and the fact that they make his meals, do his laundry, clean his room, dispense his medicine and look out for him. We think it is the best and safest environment for him at this stage of his life and allows him to interact with those in a similar situation.

When I brought him the bracelet, given the fact that he is still fairly sharp and still has a fairly good memory, I was hopeful that it would bring him back to the days when they were young and just starting out in love but I was also fearful that it might bring him back to all of the emotions he had after losing my mom. Much to my surprise, and out of character for him, he did not have much of a reaction at all. He said he remembered having a bracelet but did not remember receiving it on a Christmas day before they got married, his doesn’t remember losing it or the trip to Virginia where it must have been lost. I was surprised that he didn’t have a clear recollection of my mom’s reaction when he told her he had lost the bracelet because I am sure it was probably one to remember knowing my mom! I also thought he would have kept it with him at the assisted living place or ask me to put it on a new band so he could wear it but he did neither, he asked me to take it home and hang onto it. Maybe someday he will ask for it back and if he does, I will let you know.

Thank you Roger and I am sorry that the reunion of my dad and his bracelet was not a more memorable experience for all of us. However, don’t let this discourage you from future treasure hunting experiences.

Stay well.

Tom

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez, another response from his daughter! That makes me feel better. Gorsh!

Roger –

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to track down our family. It was such a lovely gesture and so much appreciated, even if my dad’s memory has faded. It says a lot about you – you’re a good man.

Donna

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya...well... shes right it does say a lot about someone, and I hope your karma benifits. Great work and nice story !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread