What We Can Learn From Others - OBN

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, as he is known in the forums, the godfather of modern Excal upgrades and supreme old gold hunter. Perhaps few understand the true limits and potential of the Excalibur as well as OBN, even fewer yet knowing how to exploit those limits and that potential with maximum efficiency and results. While others are chasing recent drops OBN is off somewhere on his own in pursuit of gold by other method, the end results a very strong testament to the consistent success he experiences. So what is he doing differently and what can we learn from it?

OBN has figured a few things out that make a huge difference, those main differences being that he has learned how to locate promising areas and then he has figured out how, and when, to access the gold that is still deeply hidden in these ares. These are just two of the reasons why he is so efficient and why he experiences consistent success, his understanding of the Excalibur and his personal skills with it raising the bar even higher. He is just one of the hunters I have quietly studied in recent years, the bits and pieces of information he provides being slowly absorbed and taken to heart and it HAS made a noticeable difference in my own hunting success. But what, exactly, have I learned from OBN?

Actually the list of things that I have quietly learned from OBN is rather long, some of it technical and some of it strategic, all of it priceless knowledge gained from typically quiet observation and the process of simply putting it to the test time and time again. It's the process of failure after failure eventually leading to success. It takes time, period!

So last evening I experienced it again, what I have come to call, “an OBN moment.” I can best explain this by simply telling you that this hunt was one of many in recent weeks where I was only looking for those same type of potential areas that OBN routinely seeks, quaint isolated locations that have been covered over in time and that haven't been hunted to death. Finding these locations is difficult enough but accessing them can be even harder, and yet, they are out still out there for those who are willing to take up the challenge and to learn the required skills.

A hundred years ago people were swimming at this isolated beach, this activity slowing over the years to little more then a trickle, the hard clay and stony bottom now covered over in silt with a scattering of encroaching weeds, targets still laying about everywhere. Trashy? Yep, a lot of it, but also more good tones then I could keep up with even with the stock 8” coil. But this alone wasn't that OBN moment, many tones under my coil being purposely passed over for now in search of a select few. That first Mercury dime providing me that first OBN moment, then came a few wheaties and I knew I had found one of those very promising areas. No doubt there will be old gold here and other worthwhile recoveries, this first short hunt and confirmation now allowing me to form the best strategy possible for my return visits. This is just some of what I have learned from OBN in my quiet study of the man and his methods. And it's not the first time this year that I have found such locations, that amount and quality of targets driving home the reasons why he chooses to hunt in the manner that he does.

DSCN0093.jpg
(I had to clean a couple for this image as most everything is too black to see, as is typical.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a interesting spot. I would go hunt it before OBN stumbles on it. Haha.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know, Casper and others have used / help develop this technique too. I think their obsession leads them to thinking about things that will help the recover more treasures. Those experience hunters have learned a few things while focusing on their surroundings, and the items recovered.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN is something else! I had the pleasure of dealing with him when I first started MDing. He built me a cable for my AT Pro. I did not know who he was, but after watching his posts for the last few years, I have come to recognize his abilities in the water.

OBN rocks!

Congrats and best of luck to you sir.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, it sure looks like you have way too many targets for one hunter to handle, even one so capable as yourself. I would be glad to remove some of those coins for you so you could get to the good stuff. Just let me know......</suckup mode>

I do something similar to what you've done over the years too. There's certain hunters whom tho I have never met, I have a great deal of respect for. When one of these folks says/posts something, I pay attention. There's a lot of words on the Internet and its not all equal by a long shot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know, Casper and others have used / help develop this technique too. I think their obsession leads them to thinking about things that will help the recover more treasures. Those experience hunters have learned a few things while focusing on their surroundings, and the items recovered.

True, as there are several who have contributed over the years. We may not be able to apply things in exact nature but we can certainly listen and use what we can that's suited to our own environments. I have about 4 or 5 that I've gained a lot from over the years, OBN just being one of them and perhaps the most relevant at present.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Big Scoop but I have to be honest, I can hunt the Bay's old beach's like no one else but once I step on a strange beach, out of state, ocean.. Or even a fresh drop beach here.. I'm a rookie other then I do know my Excalibur.

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic, any links plz to OBN on this forum, youtube, etc... ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting topic, any links plz to OBN on this forum, youtube, etc... ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Left click on OBN where he posts above, then select view forum posts.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Big Scoop but I have to be honest, I can hunt the Bay's old beach's like no one else but once I step on a strange beach, out of state, ocean.. Or even a fresh drop beach here.. I'm a rookie other then I do know my Excalibur.

Perhaps, but knowing that machine as well as you do and then applying what you've learned in that bay will always give you measurable advantage in adapting to most any environment. The mods, multiple headphones, the ability to swap coils, and understanding the best applications of each through proven experience, hardly a rookie anywhere. :laughing7:

But the other half of this that I have really enjoyed observing lies in your methods and reasons for them, a transition in strategy and method that isn't as easy or as simple as face value might assume when put into actual practice, yet worth all the learning time and effort for those who are so inclined. :thumbsup:
I'm just waiting for the book!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread