Let's design the perfect beach detector!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Earlier this month I posted a thread here about the new French developed Manta Pulse induction technology which First Texas has acquired. Several folks made thoughtful comments about it and seem generally pleased to hear that we can expect the new beach machine in the not so very very distant future from Fisher. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/546154-manta-pi-another-video.html[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]It occurred to me this morning that First Texas might like to hear OUR ideas about the ideal Beach detector - and hear them during the period in which they are working to turn Alexander Tartare's Manta prototype into a marketable beach detector which introduces truly new Technology. Engineers will design what they think is the best that can be done with the technology available — but marketing are the people who have to go out and sell the product in order to do that they need a really good idea as to what will actually sell. With that information they can tell engineering what they need and engineering can pick and choose from all the possibilities to give it to them. So right now we may have an opportunity to get a major manufacturer to actually tailor their product very directly to do the jobs that we need to be done. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]So — given that we're talking about a pulse induction detector — one that can discriminate out iron — what would it take to make the thing perfect for your conditions, your beaches, your targets? What specific features in terms of its design performance user interface and mechanical package would it take to make you feel like you've got the worlds best beach detector? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Right now there are number of good to adequate machines out there — but all of them fall short in the opinion of many on this forum of the ideal. whether it's part of the mechanical package — battery arrangement, coil size, coil interchangeability, headphone, Rod - whatever. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Performance? Or today's machines deep enough or is more depth really need it? Is iron ID/elimination enough detection for salt water beach hunting? What about the controls? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Price - what would you pay for detector which met your needs perfectly - was as robust as the CZ 21 - had the depth of the Excalibur or better - could detect targets, even those undrt nails while frjecting nails, fishooks, etc. - and was sensitive to the tiniest gold jewelry?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Since I have contacted First Texas about the Manta previously — I'm in a position to make sure they see whatever we post here in terms of what we want them to build for us![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]If you're up for it please post your ideas on this thread I for one will not criticize even the wackiest of them —[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Rick Kempf[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SFUIText]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ-21 with VDI and the ability to swap coils...."game over!" This should have been a no-brainer for Fisher. They really dropped the ball here....:icon_scratch:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a PI with good iron rejection is quite an improvement all by itself. I would want to see it be light, with good balance for shore work, interchangeable coils and headphones, rechargeable li-ion or li-po batteries, light but negative weight coils, internal coil cable and streamlined design for easier movement through the water, accurate pin point mode with the switch on the handle, and of course, a suction dredge for easier target recoveries! :laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want mine to have an umbrella with a portable fan attached with cup holders on each side for cold drinks. I also want it to have a pinpointer that finds hot women in the sand. If it don't have those features, i will have to stick with what i have.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Manta looks nice, but I'm just not willing to let go of my CZ21 just yet. We share a secret language.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure this is really anything truly new as many deep machines on the market already have this same capability. The thing to notice here (in the Manta video) is that the targets are making contact, this allowing the machine to see the entire target as being just one, thus allowing it to return an average. Also, notice that the crossed nails still leave part of the ring exposed, this allowing for a clear window/path to that ring. These are the same type of events that I frequently experience with the Excal, Sov, and some other machines. There real issue is when space is created between those touching targets and the masking source is large enough to prevent a clear path to the hidden ring. Here's a video of this same type thing with the Excal.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ-21 with VDI and the ability to swap coils...."game over!" This should have been a no-brainer for Fisher. They really dropped the ball here....:icon_scratch:
Ive wished for that same detector...and make it 3 to 4 pounds.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want one with micro coils inside the search coil that shows an image of the target on a LCD screen. So I know if it is a nail,pulltop, coin or ring etc. Then I know what to dig. Also handy if you have to dig a land mine or IED.

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Micro coils? I think you meant something like a sonar for seeing into the ground?I don't think even ground penatrating radar will do that (yet?).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always mounted mine on my waist.
I use my pinpoint button sometimes so I hunt wit it stock...I have the 101/2 inch coil and sometimes its hard to zero in on a target without pin point....I only use pinpoint on about 1 in every 10 targets....once I use pinpoint, target comes out on the next scoop.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
No VDI for the CZ21, like it the way it is, but it is heavy and designed for diving. Most people who use them in the surf never dive with them. So make it submersible up to 10 feet. Should be cheaper and lighter. Can look at changing coils and headphones.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No VDI for the CZ21, like it the way it is, but it is heavy and designed for diving. Most people who use them in the surf never dive with them. So make it submersible up to 10 feet. Should be cheaper and lighter. Can look at changing coils and headphones.

Also like it how it is. I use a sling and shaft mount instead of a chest mount. Looking at VDI is way too slow and defeats the purpose of headphones.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my pinpoint button sometimes so I hunt wit it stock...I have the 101/2 inch coil and sometimes its hard to zero in on a target without pin point....I only use pinpoint on about 1 in every 10 targets....once I use pinpoint, target comes out on the next scoop.

I've had both the 8" and 10" and I just made it a practice to raise the coil over the target since the CZ uses an elliptical coil/cone, as you raise it over the target the field gets smaller and smaller which really helps you to dial in on the target, also allows for much easier target separation, etc.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also like it how it is. I use a sling and shaft mount instead of a chest mount. Looking at VDI is way too slow and defeats the purpose of headphones.

True, until you're hunting a location that is either extremely trashy or where digs must be restricted to the bare minimum. Then VDI can serve a really helpful purpose, even speeding up the hunt.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One that doesn't leak and goes "beep" when it finds metal works for me.

I think a bright LED would be justified, to give visual indication of a target under water.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both the 8" and 10" and I just made it a practice to raise the coil over the target since the CZ uses an elliptical coil/cone, as you raise it over the target the field gets smaller and smaller which really helps you to dial in on the target, also allows for much easier target separation, etc.
Thanks for that tip...5 years in and Im still learning.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use the VDI to determine whether or not to dig...I dig all mid and high tones...its justcool knowing whether its a dime or a quarter...of course it could be a silver ring.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I want it to be able to id Rolex watches in the sand from my truck!
Seriously though, lightweight with good balance in the water, floats and waterproof to 100'. Wireless, waterproof headphones and backlit TID display. Shark alarm would be nice. Able to change coils without mods. Low cost coils from 12" down to 5". Iron audio and discrimination on iron.
Also the detector should include a coil cover and arm strap.

Last edited:

Oscar Goldman

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want MDs to be more portable, telescoping/collapsible features just make sense to me, so it fits in a normal back pack.

GPS Map also makes sense so you can view the areas you've covered or missed, or at least so it talks to an app on your phone that allows you to mark spots and trace path, etc...

The time has come to disrupt the detector market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread