-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Marco Island & Nylon Bolt

Last October while detectin Marco Island, the nylon bolt that connects the shaft to the coil on my excalibur broke in 2. :o

There was a small ace hardware store close by but I couldn't find an adequate replacement. I tried a zinc bolt but guess what?, you guessed it! :o Metal caused the excal to run like it was on drugs! :o

It's a good idea to pack an extra nylon bolt whenever ya go detectin! 8)

Attachments

• Marco Island.JPG
    Marco Island.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 562
  • nylon bolt.JPG
    nylon bolt.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Marco Island & Nylon Bolt

Good advice. I try to keep extra nylon bolts handy, as well as some cable ties too-which will work in a pinch for many different repairs.

(Maybe pack an extra pair of knee length shorts too) ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

cable ties........

That's an excellent idea! :o

Thanks for the tip...... 8)

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II

Hey, I have a 1350 and a Tiger Shark. I drilled out the hole in the shaft on the Tiger, and both coils to accept the Garrett bolt. I now only have to take one replacement bolt with me, along with a spare o-ring for the detector housing, spare battery holders for both detectors, the spring loaded button thingy inside the shaft for locking it in place, a tube of silicone, electrical tape, extra velcro cable ties..... maybe I take too many spare parts..... HH Joe

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loews and Home Depot have them and they are open 7 days a week. I think they just keep stretching as we tighten them and then they just give up.

t

swabby

Greenie
Feb 23, 2008
Sanibel, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse 1b

The bolts for a toilet seat work great for my detector...I buy them in packs of 2 for 1.99....a lot cheaper than a MD Dealer

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

-Jones- said:
It's a good idea to pack an extra nylon bolt whenever ya go detectin!

I have been thinking about the what ifs the past few days....I know I have to buy a few extras...Thank you for posting this idea. :thumbsup:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A nylon Bolt from a tolet seat will work great!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carry a kit with supplies with me. Kit contains several spare nylon bolts and nuts, teardrop coil washers, 16 aa batteries for detectors and 2 9 volt batteries for probes, 6 aaa batteries for head lamps, tie wraps, silicone grease, flashlight and headlamps, allen wrench, screwdriver, pliers, plastic bags and zip lock baggies.

I was half way to Daytona Beach going water hunting one day when I realized I had forgot my scoop, I had to return to Orlando for it and lost hunting time. I was very frustrated so I now carry 2 scoops in my van at all times. I forgot my shoulder harness once, I now keep one in each of my water detector carry bags, each detector bag I have also has 8 aa, and 1 9 volt battery in the pocket as well asa plastic bag.

I always take 2 water detectors with me when going water hunting, or 2 land detectors when going land hunting. If one has a problem for what ever reason I still have the back up with me so I can still hunt and take care of the problem on the other when I get home, it is not as frustrating that way.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jpotter said:
-Jones- said:
It's a good idea to pack an extra nylon bolt whenever ya go detectin!

I have been thinking about the what ifs the past few days....I know I have to buy a few extras...Thank you for posting this idea. :thumbsup:

Ditto on the thanks for the repair kit idea, never really though of it..

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Treasure_Hunter said:
I carry a kit with supplies with me. Kit contains several spare nylon bolts and nuts, teardrop coil washers, 16 aa batteries for detectors and 2 9 volt batteries for probes, 6 aaa batteries for head lamps, tie wraps, silicone grease, flashlight and headlamps, allen wrench, screwdriver, pliers, plastic bags and zip lock baggies.

I was half way to Daytona Beach going water hunting one day when I realized I had forgot my scoop, I had to return to Orlando for it and lost hunting time. I was very frustrated so I now carry 2 scoops in my van at all times. I forgot my shoulder harness once, I now keep one in each of my water detector carry bags, each detector bag I have also has 8 aa, and 1 9 volt battery in the pocket as well asa plastic bag.

I always take 2 water detectors with me when going water hunting, or 2 land detectors when going land hunting. If one has a problem for what ever reason I still have the back up with me so I can still hunt and take care of the problem on the other when I get home, it is not as frustrating that way.

Hey treasure_hunter,

you must have been a boy scout, you're prepared :wink:

your kit of supplies is a great idea, thanks for the feed :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread