Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent 15 minutes in the water at the oldest part of key west harbor. This is nasty with very little visibility and a lot of snags and debri to get stuck in. If you start feeling around in the muck with out gloves you will get cut from all the glass and debri on the bottom. There is at least 3 feet of trash and debri and 10s of thousands of bottles here. I was right in the turtle kral and schooner warf area of the harbor, and it is truly amazing bottom there. Many tarpon over 150 here and big moe the jewfish, and even a bull shark could roll up on you here. These docks have been in use since the early 1800s and it was the close in anchorage for many years before that. The large super yachts have blown out large holes in the bottom from there prop wash and these are all filled with metal debri and bottles. The wreckers all docked here then the turtle and sponge boats docked here and now the super yachts dock here. There is so much boat traffic here that I have to have a couple spotters on the dock to watch for me and lift my mesh bags out for me. Ive been cleaning the coke bottles out of here to get to some older stuff. I used to move the coke bottles out of the way but they keep caving in on me so I just take them out and pile them in my yard. Ill be b ack in the fall and plan to hit this spot with the hookah rig. Here is a portion of my finds from a couple weeks ago. photo-584.JPG
photo-587.JPG
photo-585.JPG
photo-586.JPG
photo-588.JPG photo-590.JPG photo-591.JPG
photo-589.JPG
Couple dozen cokes, old bronze porthole, very large gas lantern element, an old fruit or lightning jar from 1800s, and the prize of the day was the top of an old 17th century spanish olive jar. These are the type carried on spanish galleons, and even this broken one is pretty valuable. Definitely the biggest piece of one ive ever found. That piece should be worth quite a bit. Saw one similar at tortuga trading company for 1250.00$ on line and its not as nice as mine. Ill post up some more stuff from this spot when I get home. This is the most toxic and nasty and dangerous spot ive ever got in at. Its just scary !! If you cut your self it will get infected. Everthing that ever got thrown in the harbor is still there. If there is not a skeleton in this pile of crap I would be disappointed. I was afraid to swallow any water here with all the boats pumping bilge water over. Sewage, city run off, heavy metals in the sediment, fish carcass parts, and god knows what else is here.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Build a drag box.

Oh wait... I forgot... Scratch that.

I think I am the only guy so far to successfully build one.

:P

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions