CedarPark.Tx
Detector(s) used
MMK, C.Scope 4PI, pin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello to all colleagues!
Last year I bought a cheap sandscoop.
519-33_3f.jpg
I liked it, but the pen 12" is very short for easy digging.
I realized that the handle should be long. I decided to use a 3D friend printer to design the fasteners.
Made several sketches:
20170813_220134.jpg 20170813_220154.jpg 20170813_220207.jpg
That's what happened.
20170728_214535.jpg 20170728_214554.jpg

Surprisingly the design turned out solid and easily survived the weekend on the beach.
In the near future, buying an expensive piece of clothing is postponed;)
But the metal detector on salt water was nervous. Most likely I'll take a metal detector for salt water

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand why beginners try to save money, been there. In the Dry sand your Bounty Hunter and modified scoop will work great on a saltwater beach. When you move into the wet sand, you'll be frustrated by both the machine - and the scoop. When you get SERIOUS about saltwater beach hunting, you'll need to invest in a real beach machine, and a GOOD long handled scoop. Best of luck to you! :skullflag:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what Terry said and with no intention of being " snarky ". Its very difficult to cut corners and up satisfied with the results in the long run.
There are some very experienced and knowledgeable detectorist on this site . Sandman . OBN , Treasure hunter and many others . Learn from them.
Sandmans tag line is something like this..... Time is your most precious asset don't waste it on tools not up to the task. Sorry I paraphrased but You cant buy your time back.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I'd rather be detecting than trying to "build a better mousetrap".

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand why beginners try to save money, been there. In the Dry sand your Bounty Hunter and modified scoop will work great on a saltwater beach. When you move into the wet sand, you'll be frustrated by both the machine - and the scoop. When you get SERIOUS about saltwater beach hunting, you'll need to invest in a real beach machine, and a GOOD long handled scoop. Best of luck to you! :skullflag:

Ahoy Terry - can you recommend a quality beach machine from your experience? Or a couple of strong options? Thanks!

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahoy Terry - can you recommend a quality beach machine from your experience? Or a couple of strong options? Thanks!

If you find and read my thread in here where I asked this same question (and then some ::)) you'll find out everything you need to know by Terry and many others who are extremely knowledgeable and generous with their knowledge and help! :notworthy: Thanks again ALL! :icon_thumright:

Btw Javadroid love the Skull & Cross Detectors in your signature. :skullflag:

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Komzoom

Komzoom

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2016
CedarPark.Tx
Detector(s) used
MMK, C.Scope 4PI, pin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, I'd rather be detecting than trying to "build a better mousetrap".

I go to an ordinary beach 300 miles away. This is 10 hours.
And further. Hunters can collect the cartridge themselves ... why? In the end, are the finished cartridges sold?

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might consider the PVC pipe scoop... lots of people make them and I am betting it would work better.

However, nothing wrong with finding solutions with your 3d printer. I have made all sorts of stuff for detecting with mine.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some people have as much fun building stuff to find treasures as they do looking for treasures.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think what you did was pretty cool. Especially using a 3d printer to fabricate the parts, Your an inventor. Keep at it. You never know how your ideas may evolve or where they can take you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread