Need coil advice for excal 2, cracked, what should i put on there n who installs?

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
jeeze all new people on here, havent been on in bout a year i guess tho, not sure. but anyway cant get a threshold on one of my excal 2s, looked at the coil and its cracked on the bottom. so what should i put on there. im all fresh water, dive and wade. i heard the nel attack get chattery in the water? thats the one i want to put on there, but not sure if i should, have you guys tried it?
and who installs, dont wanna wait 4 to 8 weeks for kellyco:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

so nel tornado for excal 2 freshwater???? or what one??
who on here installs coils now????

Upvote 0

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How bad is the crack? Photo? The coil on my Excel II started to crack along the bottom edge and I used Loctite Marine epoxy to temporary fix and cover the entire bottom of the coil. Need to reapply every month or so if you swing low on the sand without a cover.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 15" Coiltek WOT and the 15" NEL Attack coils on a couple of my Excaliburs. Both work excellent in the water in pin point. Both are a bit chatty in Discrimination in salt water. I find I like the NEL better overall. It's more stable and pin points better than the WOT IMO. Where do you live?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't get a threshold?
- I'm not sure what you mean.

As for the crack, a good silicone sealant like what comes in patch kit for a pop up pool should do the trick if you just want a quick fix. But the deeper the water the more likely you are to experience a catastrophic failure if the water pressure overcomes the glue.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't get a threshold?
- I'm not sure what you mean.

As for the crack, a good silicone sealant like what comes in patch kit for a pop up pool should do the trick if you just want a quick fix. But the deeper the water the more likely you are to experience a catastrophic failure if the water pressure overcomes the glue.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeeze all new people on here, havent been on in bout a year i guess tho, not sure. but anyway cant get a threshold on one of my excal 2s, looked at the coil and its cracked on the bottom. so what should i put on there. im all fresh water, dive and wade. i heard the nel attack get chattery in the water? thats the one i want to put on there, but not sure if i should, have you guys tried it?
and who installs, dont wanna wait 4 to 8 weeks for kellyco:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

so nel tornado for excal 2 freshwater???? or what one??
who on here installs coils now????

Cracks are not a huge deal. It's a coil of wire, laid into a plastic coil case, and then epoxy if poured in to fill the case. The epoxy does nothing but hold the enameled wires in place. Simply get some CA glue, and squirt it into the crack, or mix up some epoxy (more than 5 min is best) and fill the gap. Spray paint it black. Done. Do not use silicone! It will make it nearly impossible to repair correctly. Epoxy won't stick to silicone. I highly doubt the coil itself has been damaged... bashing the coil against a rock will crack the epoxy but it will not break a copper wire.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CA glue (aka super glue) and epoxy are both hard compounds that won't offer any flexibility and I think would be more likely to fail. However if you prepare the surface properly with sand paper, epoxy would be a suitable choice if I couldnt find a silocone based glue.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sprayed mine with truck bedliner spray and it looks great. But it gets most targets at a max of 8" and others say normal is like 3" more. I was going to get the NEL Thunder but Kellyco told me here are shielding issues with it and other NEL coils right now that need to be resolved before they sell them again. Might just be an excal thing.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest replacing with a new coil, I prefer the stock coils, 1000 n 800, they work best for my conditions.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I have never heard of a detector not getting a threshold from a cracked coil. If I remember right I get a threshold with no coil. I think you should check battery connections, headphone wire first. a broken headset wire is a no threshold.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put on a used "A stock" coil with Marty at Minelab last year. The coil was taken off a new machine that someone put a NEL on. I like the stock 11" since that's what I am used to. It goes deeper than ever now and is nice and stable. I think I paid $150? Since the repair last fall I have found $2000+ worth of stuff so I feel she's earned her keep lol. If water has not affected the coil just slap some marine epoxy on there. Do you mean the threshold is super unstable? Like its over iron?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions