Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Minelab Equinox waterproof headphones connector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800,CTX with Coiltek 14x9 coil, T-Rex scoop, ATPro and 5 Excals
    966 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Minelab Equinox waterproof headphones connector

Here is a picture of the Equinox waterproof headphones connector for all those interested. I found the pic searching the web it is from a foreign website.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	equinox-minel.png 
Views:	520 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	1509029 If anybody can find this connector I would like to make a Equinox to CTX headphone adapter. website showed a 3year warranty also.
    Last edited by toddbbq; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more info

us
    Retired

Apr 2007
    Zephyrhills Fl
    excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
    1181 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (6)
    Todd check your facebook page. See if this is what you are looking for.

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    863 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The bigger issue is ....... it sticks out the back like the coil cable. In the water both will vibrate a LOT when swinging. Anyone use a headphone cable that isnt at the end of the shaft. Adding an adapter making it stick out further..... sounds like a bad idea. I also believe even with the small O ring at the bottom we will have to add an O ring over those threads if possible. Unlike the CTX we dont have any screws to remove/clean out that speaker area. How many cover their speaker as dirt hunters? Most id dare say.......i say get rid of a problem that no one use and might leak inside the box.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    966 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I was thinking of a 4 to 6 inch wiring adapter on one end a ctx and on the other end a equinox. I know it is another possible leak point but better than buying 2 pairs of headphones for the equinox. I always have a spare in my car as saltwater is a mess on electronics.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1243 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hopefully someone makes or will make a 90 degree right angle connector with that threaded coupler.
    Bodkin and DigDeepNow like this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Oct 2017
    Washington County ME & Treasure Coast FL
    Blue Excal 1000
    126 times
    The right angle connector is the first idea I had too ....pilot.

us
    Oct 2017
    Washington County ME & Treasure Coast FL
    Blue Excal 1000
    126 times
    Sad though that anyone would have to even "modify" anything right out of the box! I'm starting to question this whole Equinox thing anyway. IF it even exists, it's starting off having to do this or that to bring it in line (closely at least) with other machines already out there. After one spends all this money and time to do the upgrades one is right back at square one with the other machines. Hopefully I'm way off here but the discussions have already begun and I still haven't seen this thing. Gonna go out today and look for Bigfoot, much more promising.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4684 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The only modifying I would do is tape the wires to the shaft and I do that with all my detectors.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13004 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Jeez, can you say "snap off?"

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920I Sand S
    1418 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbbq View Post
    Here is a picture of the Equinox waterproof headphones connector for all those interested. I found the pic searching the web it is from a foreign website.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	equinox-minel.png 
Views:	520 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	1509029 If anybody can find this connector I would like to make a Equinox to CTX headphone adapter. website showed a 3year warranty also.
    Have you had any luck finding a connector to modify the ctx headphones yet?

/
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    966 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    No but I do have a few of the equinox adapters ordered and will modify them as soon as I get them in my hands.

Apr 2015
    1243 times
    Metal Detecting
    That seal design does not look reliable ...it looks like a face seal. If the connector loosens over time (expansion and contraction due to temperature changes going in and out of the water), the seal will leak. I'm not sire I see ANY o-ring at all in there.

I'll be using silicone on those threads or modifying the plug in my lathe to accept an o-ring around the barrel of the connector.

From what I've read, the connector itself (the jack) is sealed.. so even without a plug in the connector, the machine will not get water inside it, although shorting the connector in salt water would no doubt be BAD for the machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 2.59.20 PM.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	651.0 KB 
ID:	1540085
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Jan 22, 2018 at 02:02 PM.

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Oct 2009
    7153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    That seal design does not look reliable ...it looks like a face seal. If the connector loosens over time (expansion and contraction due to temperature changes going in and out of the water), the seal will leak. I'm not sire I see ANY o-ring at all in there.

I'll be using silicone on those threads or modifying the plug in my lathe to accept an o-ring around the barrel of the connector.

From what I've read, the connector itself (the jack) is sealed.. so even without a plug in the connector, the machine will not get water inside it, although shorting the connector in salt water would no doubt be BAD for the machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 2.59.20 PM.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	651.0 KB 
ID:	1540085

Youre going to do what?

It doesnt need an oring, do you see that rubber connector that holds the plug? Thats your sealing surface. You want to put an oring on the plug.... how is that going to work? The plug screws into the fitting, if there is an oring anywhere in that mix its only going to end up as chewed rubber. That headphone plug is waterproof, even if water got in, its not going to harm the detector. Lastly, you are most likely going to be using waterproof headphones if using this in the water, so why the worry about the dustplug?
    lookindown, GreenMeanie and cdv1 like this.

Apr 2015
    1243 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Youre going to do what?

It doesnt need an oring, do you see that rubber connector that holds the plug? Thats your sealing surface. You want to put an oring on the plug.... how is that going to work? The plug screws into the fitting, if there is an oring anywhere in that mix its only going to end up as chewed rubber. That headphone plug is waterproof, even if water got in, its not going to harm the detector. Lastly, you are most likely going to be using waterproof headphones if using this in the water, so why the worry about the dustplug?
    I wasn't suggesting I'd modify the cover plug, I was referring to the headphone connector. Yes, i realize the rubber holder is the seal, but it's not a good method for sealing the actual headphone connector.

You can already see pitting around the sealing surface from corrosion. Also, rubber seals change stiffness with temperature, and connectors expand and contract.. headphone cords get twisted and yanked on... eventually loosening the connector and breaking this face seal.

I will be adding a very thin film of silicone grease, or if it does start leaking a thin film of silicone sealant on the threads.

You of course are free to do whatever you like, but I do 80% of my hunting in the salt water.

Just because the connector can be flooded without flooding the machine doesn't mean salt water won't corrode the contacts over time, especially considering you'd have two different types of metals in contact.

The connectors (male and female) could be modified on a lathe to accept an o-ring, but it's not really worth the effort.

So yeah I've ordered the machine. No I don't really like the headphone connector because they are fragile.

But, I do like the size of the machine and I understand why they had to use a 1/8" connector.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Jan 22, 2018 at 07:31 PM.
    toddbbq likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    966 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I like your idea FLgliderpilot as I also do about 95% of my detecting is at or in the Salt. I plan to seal it and forget it as I plan to sell my WM-08 and the Headphones that come with the EQ800
    slider66 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links