Sex !!!!!

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
Now that I have your attention,I would really appreciate your input,experience,comments and suggestions. I'm planning to move back to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'm torn between my choice of detectors for beach/shallow surf hunting. Minelab's Excal or Fishers CZ 21.
At one time I was a dealer in the N.W for Fisher,Minelab,Tesoro,Whites,Garretts,Nokta,Makro,Teknetics. I tried out/used all of the "top of the line" of each of these brands,dry land hunting.I was truly impressed with each of the "top of the line" detector from each brand.Each one had a"speciality" some were hot on small silver coins others were deep,deep on coins/relics.Some were best for "high trash" hunting real fast recovery but not real deep.
Sorry depth is relative.It all depends on where you hunt and what you hunt for.I've detected in Montana,North Dakota,North Carolina,South Carolina,South Dakota, The east coast of Florida,Missouri,Minnesota Kentucky,Tennessee and Georgia.I have probably not included several states,I'm just trying to let you know I have detected in a bunch of different soil types.
Any suggestions,advice or experience you would be willing share on the Excal or CZ 21 would be appreciated.
I have to go now.My girlfriend found this post online and is asking questions I don't want to share the answers online.....

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one is an excellent machine. One of the reasons I like the Excal better is that I like to search with a threshold tone. The CZ is a silent search machine. The Excal can be silent search too if you like that option. The Excal can get a bit pricey too with various recommended mods, such as a straight shaft, remote pin point switch, upgraded headphones and optional coils.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one is an excellent machine. One of the reasons I like the Excal better is that I like to search with a threshold tone. The CZ is a silent search machine. The Excal can be silent search too if you like that option. The Excal can get a bit pricey too with various recommended mods, such as a straight shaft, remote pin point switch, upgraded headphones and optional coils.
CZ silent in ID mode -
I use in all metal and run with as high of a back ground tone as I can and go for the faint fluctuation tones - its not for every one
but I started out in the 70s with non discrim. machines and that's how I honed my land skills - all metal - back ground hum and go for the whisper
signals - but back then - it was not for everyone either (in fact very few) but I got a lot of stuff others missed by them losing depth or running discrim. to high
The one I use the most (I own 3) sounds identical to my 70s machine - that's why I like it - probably that's why I do good with it

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to hold off and see what this new ML offers. Both are excellent machines. I never cared much about having to open the battery box or the length of the shaft.... but for the price the CZ is a good deal. It will find some smaller stuff i believe than the Xcal. BUT..... IMO the Xcal with mods is pricy but makes it the better machine. It holds its own with the CTX. BUT.....those mods puts it up there in price...... is it worth the extra money?

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As you may, or not, know the Outer Banks is a national seashore and off limits to detecting.

That said, I live just South and hunt Bogue banks, Emerald Isle, Topsail beach, etc.

To answer you question... I have not been too impressed with the Excal as mine seems to chirp almost each time it hits an object and any time it goes in/out of water. I love my CTX and only wish it had a bit longer shaft. The CZ-21 was a very close contender and now I wish I had made that purchase.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 Excaliburs and they're all stable as a rock, even wide open in our mineralized sand. All while hunting in Pin Point, which is where you should hunt. They can talk to you a bit in Disc while in the wet. Maybe yours is needing repair?

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
If you move to the Northern Point of Outer Banks ( Nags Head area ) and have a 4 Wheel Drive Vehicle. I need a ride on the Beach From Corolla to Virginia . But it is sill sanded in Dec 2017 . Just need to follow the Rules on this section of Beach and a Few additional items that are Required*** goldnugget ***

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to deal with all the idiotic government rules on certain beaches, ok, but now we have to put up with hitchhikers on Tnet?? :laughing7: What's next......"will work for a good sand scoop"? :wave:

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Excel and a CZ20 and I don't think you could go wrong with either machine. The new minelab Equinox hasn't been released yet but is supposed to be waterproof to 3m and good for salt water beaches and also much lighter than the excel and cz21.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my Excal II for two seasons now, I purchased it used and immediately upgraded to a Plugger straight shaft. I'm upgrading it this off season with the pin point mod and look forward to that. I've never used a CZ, but historically Fisher has produced some great machines. But I'm pretty happy with my Excal and have too many danged machines already!

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden oaks, check the rules for the OBX. It IS NOT off limits from roughly Mile Post 21 and north. From about where Coquina Beach starts and south it is off limits as that is where the Cape Hatteras National Seashore starts.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out what harm we can do on a beach, and why they would ban us. Do they prevent kids from building sand castles too? :icon_scratch:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the new Equinox will be out soon, I’d check it out. Faster recovery is what I like about it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both machines are great.

I'd lean towards the CZ because it's less maintenance... it seems to hold up better (leaks, etc) over the long run. Also it's smaller overall in length and easier to learn at first. Wide search mode (autotune) is amazing.

Also it's a quiet machine... I enjoy silence and the sound of the waves while detecting.

BUT: If you get a CZ, a chest mount, belt mount, or straight shaft conversion is mandatory.

The stock mounting position on top of the grip makes the machine hard on the arm.

No wrong choice really.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread