Video: Top Ten Saltwater Beach Metal Detectors

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would put the Garrett Infinium LS on the list, and ahead of most of the other PI machines, mainly because of it rudimentary or pseudo-discrimination. It has excellent depth too.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks pretty good to me though I haven't held most of the machines. I would like to see the countdown in reverse order from 10 to number 1. Thanks for putting it together.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to swap the CTX and Xcal...... not because the CTX is BETTER in the water, but because there are a lot of advantages it offers OUT of the water on a beach....like more depth, tone adjustments, and TID screen. I agree the Finny deserved a spot. Nowwwww where will this new ML fall?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm biased towards the CZ-21. I would have had the CTX and CZ-21 in 1, 2 with the XCAL coming in third mostly because for all the years I have had my CZ I have only had to send it in for repair once (which was due to my carelessness). Whereas, some of my mding friends have had their XCAL's repaired several times.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to swap the CTX and Xcal...... not because the CTX is BETTER in the water, but because there are a lot of advantages it offers OUT of the water on a beach....like more depth, tone adjustments, and TID screen. I agree the Finny deserved a spot. Nowwwww where will this new ML fall?

In the areas where I've compared them, and assuming they're adjusted properly and have the same relative size coil, there's no way the CTX gets more depth than the Excalibur.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the areas where I've compared them, and assuming they're adjusted properly and have the same relative size coil, there's no way the CTX gets more depth than the Excalibur.

I have both machine and agree 100%. CTX give you less junk but less depth.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark i agree ...... if you are talking in PP mode. The advantage the Xcal also has is the length of tone on a target. The CTX can be choppy...... especially on the near/HALO targets.... and you can just miss um. It also doesnt define target size as well. All this may very depending on location/trash. I dont know how its factory set..... but the Xcal hates iron better than any machine on the beach. BUT.... i still like the advantages out of the the water the CTX offers.......coil swapping and headphones too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I usually don't use the Excal in the dry sand because with a FBS machine, I can avoid almost all of the bottle caps. With the Excal, they just don't sound bad enough to ignore. With FBS, they're usually real easy to I.D. with the numbers that come up. The only ones that can be a problem are the bent and/or real rusty ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread