Is there a sleeker type of coil stabilizer?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Most of my water detectors have the fairly large 3" x3" plastic coil stabilizers that clamp onto the shaft at the coil and keep it from changing angle. I have the black White's stabilizer and some copies of them, that are a little sleeker, but still drag. They drag in the water quite a bit. I have taken them off and I can tell it scans easier when there is no stabilizer. Is there a design that is sleeker? Can go though the water easier and still maintain good coil angle? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it possible to drill holes in the plastic stabilizers to let water flow through them?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent seen one, and I'm not sure one could be made. As I'm sure you are aware, there is a LOT of pressure from wave currents trying to flip your coil up and down. The only way to stop that is with a brace. The triangular brace is inherently strong. If you made it "L" shaped to reduce drag then all that strain hits at the corner and it wont be long until it snaps. I'm not sure if you could make it thick enough to withstand the forces.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes I have thought about making a leaning L to align with the shaft and coil, but it would really have to be sturdy, maybe fiberglass. I work with fiberglass so maybe I can figure out a sleek , no water drag stabilizer. And still be stiff and strong.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have thought about making a leaning L to align with the shaft and coil, but it would really have to be sturdy, maybe fiberglass. I work with fiberglass so maybe I can figure out a sleek , no water drag stabilizer. And still be stiff and strong.

build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door!

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rusty Gold, some of the ones I have that are slightly sleeker and thicker, do have holes. But too many holes will make it weak. And like anything in air like a wire mesh has drag in the air. Even very large wire mesh. It's the parts that are still there that create turbulence and actual drag. I am really thinking a fiberglass leaning L that has thick enough side walls might be the ticket.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there a plastic that they use for making casted for broken limbs. if you can find some,you can make a brace that will work for you.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok Ron, my wife is an O R nurse, and works in all that. Sometimes she comes home with some stuff they didn't use, that she thinks I can use- tubing, gloves and things,it is now non-sterile and opened, they just throw it away. I will ask her about that. I was thinking of using fiberglass cloth and polyester resin. Once it is finished gel coat it. I am thinking making a half tube that goes over the top of the shaft, and the sides go down to where the bolt goes through. And it will flatten out on both sides and go forward and back so it will be stable. And out to the sides some. But will be tapered down so it all does not drag. And make it thick enough that it will not flex. Not much more than the shaft and coil without the brace. It will need Some kind of a clamp that will hold the shaft tight. All non metal of course.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with this stuff ,all you need is a pair of sizzers and some hot water.

Last edited:

Geronimo_

Oct 14, 2013
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Excal2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most of my water detectors have the fairly large 3" x3" plastic coil stabilizers that clamp onto the shaft at the coil and keep it from changing angle. I have the black White's stabilizer and some copies of them, that are a little sleeker, but still drag. They drag in the water quite a bit. I have taken them off and I can tell it scans easier when there is no stabilizer. Is there a design that is sleeker? Can go though the water easier and still maintain good coil angle? Thanks in advance.

Hello Steve

No bla bla from me, just the answer with pics.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

:laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried using/making a stabilizer many years ago...... but like you found they had way to much drag. So..... what i did was made round washers of heavier material. Yes i get coil movement...... but my coil stays on the bottom and i rarely get coil flip and it really wears the coil ears very little. What does the most damage is CONSTANTLY tightening the bold.

jerome83

Greenie
Jan 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.
Think you for your post.
I have seen the picture with the «suchpulen stabilisator fur minelab», I want to buy it, but I haven't found it.
Would you give me the internet link where I can found it.
Think you very very much !!!!!!!
Jérôme

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread