Putting together a cheap rig for the creeks.

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for something cheap to throw on the kayak or in the boat while I am fishing up the creeks to poke around it. I can't get my head underwater because my ears are crap so I didn't need something super fancy or nice and will probably be digging every signal anyway. I had a Fisher F2 sitting here that we don't use so I tore in to it last night and started mounting it in a watertight case. I already got the wires for the coil connector soldered back together and coated and taped up. Tomorrow I am going to drill my hole in the case for the coil wire to go through. I am going to go and try and find a rubber plug or grommet the right size to use and then seal around it, I am thinking windshield sealant is probably what I am going with. I am going to take some 1" tall pvc and use a hold saw to put a 1" half moon shape in it and then jb weld or epoxy it to the bottom of the box and run a stainless bolt through it to hold it to the shaft. My 9v batter plugs will be here on Friday and I hope to have it all wrapped up then. I am hoping to be able to hear the speaker so that I don't have to wire up headphones and put another hole in the box.

IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2596.JPG

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks good! Let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the coil cord through it today and sealed up and just bought some aluminum angle to make the mount to the rod. As long as my 9v connectors show up tomorrow I should have it finished so it can sit in the closet until the winter is over.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's all done and watertight so far. I have it set up pretty short right now, i need to get another middle bar for it to make it normal length. I stole the one off the F2 to straight rod my MXT. Now I just need winter to be over. IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2601.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2604.JPG

JBIG1

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2012
Youngstown
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job, hope it works for you I can't get in the water to look anymore because the body it old and wasted but I know that the gold is not the only thing in creeks. Alot of coins, jewlery, fishing tackle, boat parts and cell phones....and of course the weird thing that shouldn't be there....:icon_thumleft:

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great job. Put any of those moisture-sucking envelopes in the case?

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... something happened with the plastic case and the glue I used around the hole where I put the cable and it now isn’t making a good seal when I close the box. It put a wave in the box where the rubber ring sets to seal it so I just bought an AT Pro.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking of the same thing as well, good luck with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread