All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not talking about sunken ships but.. lost rings.. I suck a beach hunting.. but I always hunt the shoreline.. didn't want to get my etrac wet.. I now have a at pro I'm going out in the water with.. is there a key spot you hunt at the beach or just random wading around? Thanks!

Study the beach, you hunt where people congregate mostly. Beach has zones, hunt the zones that has the most activity first.

The shallow water zone is where most of the swimming, wading,water sports and general water activities take place, aside from the sandy part of the beach it is one of the most crowded and populated zones of a beach. People put on sun screen which makes their hands slippery, they then sun theirselves and when they get hot they go in the water, water being gold the hands shrink, already slippery and off goes the gold. You also have the other sand bars that people swim to, in the picture it is to the left of zone one and goodies can be found there as well.

Beach Zones.png

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell people - try and spend the day at a spot you want to hit - try and spend low and high to see where
people go - most times for me - I try to hunt where they used to congregate and activity used to take place
up here they have moved buoy lines in so close - you have to go off season or before or after lifeguards are there and hit way past where they used to swim
one place I hit at low - I'm out bout 100 yrds past those buoys and I mostly get old finds - when I was a kid there - there weren't any buoy lines or
restrictions - try and find out where people used to go - I know guys that hit with in those boxes they use to restrict us
some have gone out side the lines and killed it cause in old days they swam around the whole area - now to left and right is fishing - but back then it was not
Study the beach, you hunt where people congregate mostly. Beach has zones, hunt the zones that has the most activity first.

The shallow water zone is where most of the swimming, wading,water sports and general water activities take place, aside from the sandy part of the beach it is one of the most crowded and populated zones of a beach. People put on sun screen which makes their hands slippery, they then sun theirselves and when they get hot they go in the water, water being gold the hands shrink, already slippery and off goes the gold. You also have the other sand bars that people swim to, in the picture it is to the left of zone one and goodies can be found there as well.

View attachment 1560472

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rookies I suggest a PFD.... And being able to PP and dig a target on shore blindfolded,........ with a bunch of little kids trying to tackle you.

I agree with you in part
However
Little kids don’t do early am low tides just sayin...LOL

44AC1239-DC86-40DD-9A98-3EB476091610.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those new to beach hunting here are a couple tips, those who are regular beach hunters already know this.

When I first hit a beach if it is during the day and lot of people are there I will mentally note where people are at and save that info in the back of my mind using something on the beach for reference points.

On Daytona and New Smyrna Beach there are multiple zones.

1. The parking zone on the beach, items are dropped as they get in and out of the car, this is dry sand area.

2. Cross over the drive area and you have the towel line/beach chair line.

3. Next you have the 2nd beach chair line that is wet sand, not many people want to put towels and blankets there as they get wet.

4. Next is the wet sand area where most of the sand castles are built.

5. Next you have the waters edge, I have found many rings at the water's edge where water hits the wet sand.

6. Next you have the shallow water line where mothers sit with the kids to play, (done good there) 1-2 foot deep.

7. Next you have the 3-4 foot deep area where most people play in the water, prime area for gold targets, especially good when you have had rip tides tear holes there.

8. After a short swim or deep wade you have the outer sand bar area, I find less there but do find gold targets there.

Here is where the mental note comes in of where people were congregated the most, when we get hit with the quick showers common in Florida in summer, beach goers all grab everything and run to the cars, the towel line and chair lines become a premium area to hunt as they grab their stuff in such a hurry they forget they had rings and jewelry laying on the ground by chairs, towels or blankets.

I LOVE THE SUDDEN SHOWERS ON THE BEACH!

You hunt all low laying areas, scallops, runoffs back to the ocean and tide pools. Look for collections of larger shells or rocks, you will find lead sinkers here and gold targets

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I will go as deep as my shoulders if it is very calm but I work all areas. Some great finds have come out of the wet sand and shallows.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been 190' deep in the ocean. I have only detected out to about 8' deep when I was in Florida some years ago.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those new to beach hunting here are a couple tips, those who are regular beach hunters already know this.

When I first hit a beach if it is during the day and lot of people are there I will mentally note where people are at and save that info in the back of my mind using something on the beach for reference points.

On Daytona and New Smyrna Beach there are multiple zones.

1. The parking zone on the beach, items are dropped as they get in and out of the car, this is dry sand area.

2. Cross over the drive area and you have the towel line/beach chair line.

3. Next you have the 2nd beach chair line that is wet sand, not many people want to put towels and blankets there as they get wet.

4. Next is the wet sand area where most of the sand castles are built.

5. Next you have the waters edge, I have found many rings at the water's edge where water hits the wet sand.

6. Next you have the shallow water line where mothers sit with the kids to play, (done good there) 1-2 foot deep.

7. Next you have the 3-4 foot deep area where most people play in the water, prime area for gold targets, especially good when you have had rip tides tear holes there.

8. After a short swim or deep wade you have the outer sand bar area, I find less there but do find gold targets there.

Here is where the mental note comes in of where people were congregated the most, when we get hit with the quick showers common in Florida in summer, beach goers all grab everything and run to the cars, the towel line and chair lines become a premium area to hunt as they grab their stuff in such a hurry they forget they had rings and jewelry laying on the ground by chairs, towels or blankets.

I LOVE THE SUDDEN SHOWERS ON THE BEACH!

You hunt all low laying areas, scallops, runoffs back to the ocean and tide pools. Look for collections of larger shells or rocks, you will find lead sinkers here and gold targets
That right there is a bit of Brilliance !!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you're going hunting in salt water with an AT Pro be aware that the machine is a single VLF detector and, as such, will not handle salt water very well. You will get a lot of falsing and noise. Decreasing sensitivity helps but you sacrifice depth. Be sure to test your machine in the water and place good targets at various depths IN THE WATER (Not air test) to gain an appreciation of what it will and will not do in salt water. Fresh water is not a concern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread