Need advice-Waterproof headphones for AT PRO-newbie

Wspanic21

Jul 20, 2011
Hello T'Netters-

I am looking at buying some waterproof headphones for my AT Pro to potentially get into water hunting here in the Midwest this summer. I have been detecting for about 5-6 years with a Whites MXT but have also purchased an AT Pro to play around with and after watching some videos online, water hunting has peaked my interest.
I have yet to venture into the water and detect just thought it may be fun. I was doing some research and trying to determine what the best waterproof headphones I should get. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's only one choice given the weird Garrett headphone jack. The blue ones retail $84.50 last I purchased. Make sure you tighten headphone n coil before u get in the water n get in the habit of checking them every hour. They have a tendency to loosen over time and a little water will dry right out in a bit but will lend your days hunt.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello T'Netters-

I am looking at buying some waterproof headphones for my AT Pro to potentially get into water hunting here in the Midwest this summer. I have been detecting for about 5-6 years with a Whites MXT but have also purchased an AT Pro to play around with and after watching some videos online, water hunting has peaked my interest.
I have yet to venture into the water and detect just thought it may be fun. I was doing some research and trying to determine what the best waterproof headphones I should get. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I would recommend against Garrett's waterproof headphones. They have terrible speakers which don't fully represent the sounds the AT pro makes. I purchased a pair and promptly returned them. I think they were designed for PI machines. Try finding a pair with waterproof speakers (not piezo elements).

When i water hunted with my AT Pro, I sealed off the earpiece speaker grills of the land headphones with discs of packing tape under the cups, and kept my head above water. Used them for almost a year this way. The pots eventually went bad, so I removed them and soldered directly to the speakers. I added more layers of tape until the volume was comfortable.

Lasted another year... sold them with my AT pro this year still working.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Garrett Blue PN: 2202100.....$99.95 GrayGhost Amphibians For Infinium and AT Series detectors List Price: $150.00.

Depends on how much you are going to water hunt and how much you can afford.

The GrayGhost are by far the better of the two and are also suitable for land use. They have the feature
of a volume control the Blues does not.

Personal preference as to comfort I went with the GGAs, two pair one for the Infinium and ATX and the other for the ATPro.
Now I am wiring up a waterproof adapter to connect the GGAs to the Equinox.

You can use the land headphones, but an accidental dunk and you will be looking for a replacement if water gets into the ear pieces and destroys the speakers.

NOTE: If you buy second hand or OLD stock, the original BLUEs were for the Infinium and WOULD NOT turn off the AT's speaker. Garrett made a change about 7 years ago making them compatible with both detectors.

Suggestion: If you are near a dealer that carries both, go and try them out before you spend your money. Or if a friend as a pair, try their's.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The land headphones are waterproof up to the head set so if you don't dunk your head the standard ones work great. I use a scoop and a classifier mounted in an inner-tube. If you had to, you could take the headphones off and set them on the floating classifier to dunk your head. I've only gone up to neck deep personally.
GOOD LUCK OUT THAR!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put the Garrett blue ones on mine 5 years ago and never took them off...use it in freshwater and as my land detector...many good finds with no problems for me.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The Garrett blue ones are the best. They’re the only ones you can hear the deeper faint targets more clear. They make the at pro sound different that’s because their is no volume control. it’s so loud and clear. You can hear deep targets, faint crackles that you can’t with the other brands. Some people don’t like them beachside they’re too loud but I like them.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Beachside?? Supposed to be “because” they’re too loud. Now that was a funny auto correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread