Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AARC
  • 1 Post By Digger_O'Dell
  • 1 Post By Digger_O'Dell

Thread: Treasure Coast find, ideas? Suggestions appreciated too.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2018
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Treasure Coast find, ideas? Suggestions appreciated too.

Hi all,
    Relatively new on this forum, but been reading the posts for a long time.
    I'm currently on a detecting vacation in Florida hoping to find at least one of those elusive 1715 coins. I've been working my way South each day to hit the wreck sites, and so far without much luck. I've been using the CTX-3030 with 17" coil in the surf, and then switch to my GPX 4800 with 11x17 Nuggetfinder mono coil for the rest of the beach. Haven't found much of note until today. Lots of really deep sinkers (20-30 inches) and a bit of clad.
    But today I hit a well eroded beach that gave up a huge chunk of encrusted something. Mostly iron for sure, but the CTX chirps a couple high tones in the thickest areas although it could just be falsing. Stopped at the museum and they guessed it could be an iron spike, but the person to ask won't be in until next week. May try the Mel Fisher museum tomorrow. But if anyone has a guess, love to hear it!
    Lastly, if anyone has tips or pointers for the area, would love to hear the feedback. And heck, if anyone local wants to get together for a hunt, just let me know.
    Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180511_154941.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	1589031

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    28767 times
    First off... welcome to Treasurenet.
    Secondly...

Although this item intrigues me... I have no clue as to what you have found.

This simply could be anything.

I am afraid to say "clean it / knock off some crust"... if it is in fact something really good... but this may be what you need to do in order to get a better picture up here for a re-evaluation.

Will await further pics / post.
    Oddjob likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - Lurking in The RCT - Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

May 2018
    12 times
    Thanks, kinda figured that would be the usual answer. And as you said, I'm too worried about it being too fragile in case it might be something good. Maybe an X-ray is in order?
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5141 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'd be careful where I went into the surf. Most of the areas along the Treasure Coast are off limits due to salvage claims.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Jul 2011
    431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I'd be careful where I went into the surf. Most of the areas along the Treasure Coast are off limits due to salvage claims.
    YEP !

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13089 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    What those guys said - you can hit wet sand in fleet area (as well as the dry)
    Get caught in wrong place in the water - even ankle deep and you could lose your machine and get fined
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

May 2018
    12 times
    Thanks, I know the laws here. By "surf" I mean normal wet sand bit getting pounded by waves, above low tide level.
    Being from a very anti detecting state, I've made it a habit to research local laws best I can before even going out.

May 2018
    12 times
    Update: Finally stopped in at the museum to have it looked at. The ranger verified it is certainly a 1715 find and has pretty sure it's a cluster of bar shot. He also highly recommended I get xrays taken to see full internal details. Said offer there are coins or other valuables that get encased in the encrustations.
    AARC likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links