cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_1427.jpg
    100_1427.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 204

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I think all of the offered scoops are wonderful... have you thought about a much cheaper yet still viable option of going to your local buck or two store and getting a big plastic water jug... they come for about 4 or 5 dollars and are a very solid construction. Then take your drill if you have one or borrow one and use a bit that is just smaller than a dime in diameter... drill holes in the base of the jug... all around and on the bottom. I've used one for a year now... and it works fine. I balk at spending $150 to 200 for a scoop... even if it has excellent resale value... that is a quarter of the way to a new machine for me. I might spend that on a pinpointer but it is really a tool that you can use through all facets of your detecting... the scoop is good for one area but not all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic doesn't work or hold up well in rocky areas, and not great in wet sand either. You would have to squat down to use one like you describe. My legs and back ache just thinking about doing that! :laughing7: A good long handled scoop can dramatically speed up the recovery time, allowing you to find many more targets in a given period of time. It's the best investment you can make at a sandy venue. As for a scoop not being good for all areas......that's true of just about all metal detecting tools and equipment. The proper tool for the job is always best.

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic doesn't work or hold up well in rocky areas, and not great in wet sand either. You would have to squat down to use one like you describe. My legs and back ache just thinking about doing that! :laughing7: A good long handled scoop can dramatically speed up the recovery time, allowing you to find many more targets in a given period of time. It's the best investment you can make at a sandy venue. As for a scoop not being good for all areas......that's true of just about all metal detecting tools and equipment. The proper tool for the job is always best.

My plastic scoop has held up for soon to be two years of granted occasional use on the beach. As for stoop and scoop... I hear ya. My main point was that the metal crafted scoops are very expensive and for a beginner who has already shelled out at least say 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a detector, rudimentary pinpointer and shovel/spade... well another 150 to 200 for a scoop... that's kinda breaking the bank. Short term investment of 5 bucks and time with power tool will get you through the first couple of days/weeks/months of activity and let you decide if this is the life for you.

Last edited:

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I live near the beach (salt water) and a scoop is only good for me in loose sand.
In hard packed sand or mud,I use a shovel.But that's just me.

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just a thought: Aluminum seems like the answer BUT, many do not think about or realize that the thicker metal (1/8") makes penatrating the sand harder. So every dig is harder, dig after dig. Finding more gold happens when you are efficient and have the energy to hunt that extra hour or two...:laughing7:
Chuck

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a thought: Aluminum seems like the answer BUT, many do not think about or realize that the thicker metal (1/8") makes penatrating the sand harder. So every dig is harder, dig after dig. Finding more gold happens when you are efficient and have the energy to hunt that extra hour or two...:laughing7:
Chuck

I've done a lot of river scooping = lots of rocks large and small. I don't believe aluminum would stand up to that, where a good stainless scoop handles it well. No damage to my 920iX yet.

Darwoody

Greenie
Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Stavr Scoop - MONSTRIK 9. Designed especially for clay/rocky areas. It has a pointed, solid (no holes) spade-like front for digging in solid ground.
Screenshot_2018-06-08-09-49-07-1.png

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
John Volek in Houston, Tx.

I think it's more copy and paste of the stealth design with a few changes. Last I heard he was doing the same with the Russian scoop, stavr. I guess that's no different then pouching someones hunting spot or being a Pirate. :skullflag:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
His copy of the Starv scoop..
OBN0016.jpg
OBN0015.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All scoops have kinda the same design don't they? Only so much you can do to make them look different and still function correctly. You could say the same thing about cell phones or wedding bands.....they look a lot alike, but, that doesn't bother me in the slightest! The more the merrier! Keeps the cost down when you have competition.:icon_thumleft:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John designed these himself. He did look at all scoops in the market and took input from dedicated water hunters as to what worked for them and what did not. Every stainless scoop has similarities and differences. Here is one of his design drawings, he took two years in developing his product and it continues to evolve from user feedback.
xtremedesign.jpg

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread