Epic 3-4 Hrs of Detecting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1062.jpg

Upvote 0

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Tell us more. Where did you find all this?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! You were on it for sure

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great day in my book congrats!!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's what you call the Sweet Spot.Congrats

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Tell us more. Where did you find all this?

Claire, first let me say that several years ago I was so impressed with the consistency of guys like OBN that I said, "I want to be like Them!" So I decided to watch, study, and to learn all that I could from them. Today, because I did that, I take what I've I learned from them and I apply that in the region that I hunt and now days like this are not all that uncommon for me and my recovery rate has skyrocketed. They taught me how to fully understand my machine and how to best apply it. They taught me a lot about the elements and the properties of gold. And they taught me how to seek and to locate the best areas, and why it's so vital to do all of the above. So today I only seek and hunt old beaches, firm bottoms, and I'm very selective as to when and how I choose to hunt them. So there's the first part of this story, and the most important part, "pay attention to how guys like OBN hunt, and really take the time to learn your machine so you can get the very most out of it." That's what made this hunt, and other such hunts, possible. (Gotta give credit where credit is due.)

As for this particular hunt, it was a freshwater lake that had been dead calm for about three straight days, the two days while I was there only adding to that perfectly flat streak, which made for perfect conditions. Why? Because all of the sediments are settled, this allowing for the most stable search field possible. When the lake isn't flat for a period of time these swirling sediments create a very unstable search field, even the sediments on the bottom are constantly stirring and these sediments contain tiny particles of rust, iron, etc., which makes the machine processor work much harder, the end result being more chatter and more instability for the machine users. But when everything is perfectly still and settled the only way these can be stirred up again is if the machine operator stirs them. So, 7" coil on the Excal and then moving like a snail to prevent this.

Heavily used freshwater bottoms, especially old bottoms, are going to be trashy, there's just no getting away from it. The targets we seek are typically going to be masked or at least somewhat masked, and most are going to be either right on top of the hard bottom, usually hard marl or black rock and gravel, etc., or they're going to be under it, hidden within all of that rusty crusty and otherwise junk infested sediment. Such was the case with this hunt, so it's "a lot" of picking through all of that trash and iron infested sediment in order to locate the goodies. The headphones are very noisy at times and most good targets are only going to offer an initial tick or edge return so it's also very mentally fatiguing, which is why I'm only good for maybe 2 hours at time, after that it can all start to sound the same and you can start digging yourself crazy chasing illusions and phantoms. lol

"Slow"...in 2 hours I might only cover a 40 x 40 foot area and I might only chase a dozen potential returns, maybe only remove the surface of another dozen or so just to see if a potential return is worth chasing? If the return becomes more steady or more obvious and I can isolate it then I'll chase it, if not then I'll usually move on or I'll try removing some overburden again with the hope that it will become more obvious. Sadly, many times the return will simply disappear, the source either being a tiny piece of surface clutter or just the result of mixed sediments and a condition of processor confusion. Like I said, very tedious and mentally draining detecting, but well worth it for as long as you can hold out.

Hunt one got me 6 gold and a few coins, my second hunt got me 1 gold and the old coins and pendant, plus a few more other coins, brass screws, old tarp rings, old shell casings, etc. A funny event on that diamond ring, my first recovery was one of those teardrop shaped pieces from and older style pull tab, a second return from the same hole and I was sure it was just going to be the ring end of that same pull tab. Nope! It was the diamond ring about 4-5 inches or so deeper in the same hole...lol "Good headphones and speakers!" A MUST! As many of these returns are very-very sudden and very faint. If you're moving too quickly you'll never even get a return or even hear them if you do.

One other note on the Excal, quite often, if you suspect that you heard a potential return then try to hover your coil over that spot with a very slow and small search motion, a lot of times your Excal will eventually bring that tone up. If this fails try really fast but very short sweeps, almost a choppy motion, as this will often produce a stronger isolated return.

This is pretty much how these returns came about. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Saves Big Scoop! You have come along ways buddy!! WOW!! What a Great Hunt!

My best day this year is 7 gold rings in 5 hours, I think that gold chain puts you above & beyond!!

Some many little tricks can really enhance one's hunting in the right spot!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Saves Big Scoop! You have come along ways buddy!! WOW!! What a Great Hunt!

My best day this year is 7 gold rings in 5 hours, I think that gold chain puts you above & beyond!!

Some many little tricks can really enhance one's hunting in the right spot!

Ha! Thanks for all of the education! Without it I'd still be recent drop hunting....lol

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick update/correction. The stones in the diamond ring were actually real aqua marines, my bad! But according to the jeweler good aqua marines, which these apparently are, are better then bad quality diamonds. So when in doubt or uncertain, take it to a reputable jeweler/gemologist. All of this stone stuff can get complicated and is way over my head? lol

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very impressive! Great job!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you had quite a day

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 GOLD in 3-4 hours..... WOW :icon_thumright: EPIC is right. My BANNER vote is in. Way to go. CONGRATS

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very impressive hunt. I don't want to know where you found everything I want to know where you plan to go next before you go

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing I need a day like that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread