Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see if you can find someone with a spectrometer or the mor advanced electronic metal analyzers

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Far too many jewelers do not know the capabilities or limitations of “gold testers” or “gold testing solutions”. The best guys I have locally test their solutions daily against known alloys.

Adding to the discussion, many refiners are firm believers in the phrase “hallmarks are lies”, knowing that there are many manufacturers across the globe who think nothing of marking .675 gold as .750.

Time for more coffee.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find a jeweler with an XRF machine. Only way to tell. Coin dealer in Colorado Springs has one to tell exactly what metals are in an object. He charges five bucks, unless you are selling the item.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it to the first guy! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Far too many jewelers do not know the capabilities or limitations of “gold testers” or “gold testing solutions”. The best guys I have locally test their solutions daily against known alloys.

Adding to the discussion, many refiners are firm believers in the phrase “hallmarks are lies”, knowing that there are many manufacturers across the globe who think nothing of marking .675 gold as .750.

Time for more coffee.

That's why I live by my tag line! :icon_thumright:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the local coin stores/gold buyers has one of the hand held analysts guns and it tells the exact composition of what is being tested, that’s where I go. All of the jewelers in town use the scratch acid method. By the way that ring , first look at the picture does not look like gold of any karat, let alone 18k. Jmho. Good luck!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would purchase a acid kit off of ebay so you can test yourself. They are fairly cheap and easy to use. Once you test a few gold you will know the feel how it scratches on the test stone, then the acid will tell the story..except on SS..which will pass most acid test but it's hard to scratch on the stone not softer like gold. What it does look like is old Platinum with Iridium but for sure you would know it, it would be a clunker in the palm. Plat/Ird will have that dull silver look. Keep us informed on the results, would be interesting for sure.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This ring was tested 3 times, One jeweler that took the ring in the back to be tested, said the ring was good. The other test that were done in front of me, turned out to be no good. Looking into a gold tester, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

18K white gold, so you could test for silver content.. I've never tried to test white gold though so I can't offer any help other than be skeptical of someone who tells you a ring is fake and then offers a low price for it. : D

White gold could have other metals including copper so how it needs to be tested a bit more carefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread