🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of moving to Texas and will be very close to Lake Travis. I need to add to my gear, a decent sand scoop for fresh water hunting. Can someone recommend one that won't break the bank. I'm not sure what type of soil/sand/dirt I'm going to encounter, so, I may have to wait until I get over there later this month, thanks.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Dan,
I wonder if you will encounter rocks under the sand and in the water? If so a robust scoop is definitely recommended. My first choice is Chuck's Stealth but they are pricey (well worth it though). On amazon.com there is a brand named Coob that seems it would do nicely. Plus with quicker shipping, you can get it fairly fast.
I bought the smallest Coob Sand Scoop and put it on a carbon fiber handle with a foam grip, to have a lightweight shallow cherry picker while I mend from rotator cuff repair.
Good Luck Dan with your move to Texas.

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a RTG scoop that i've been using for years. It's aluminum but crazy strong. I think they have a stainless scoop also... might wanna check them out, the thing i liked about them was that the handle is welded to the bucket which means no need to get a wood handle for it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay the money and get a good one - when I first got into water hunting - I kept buying
all kinds of cheapos trying to save money
wire basket ones crushed - some baskets were too small and took 3 times as many scoop s to get targets
others - handles were too short or thin and bent under pressure - I had more than a few friends with wooden handles
after time the wood got water logged and weak/ soft and snapped off - luckily I usually had an extra
for them to borrow - spend the money once and get a good one than having to go thru 4 or 5 to learn
you get one medium sized gold band with it and should pay for itself

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh - I use a RTG large basket long handled aluminum travel model and had them add a stainless lip to it
its 2 piece but thick - will never bend

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy a stealth scoop, all 316 stainless and a life time warrenty . I have a stealth S3I witch is great

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Coob 7mm hexagons. Its incredibly light and strong. Only regret is I didn't get one sooner. I kind of wish I had gone with 10 mm instead but it is nice to land many of those tiny targets earrings, 22 bullets and shells without them falling out repeatedly. I always said if I can find a stainless for under $100 I am in. It came super fast and seems like it'll last a long time considering how light it is. I paid $95 and love it! Obviously its for waist deep water.

TideSweeper

Feb 5, 2013
Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
ML Nox 600
THANKS Willie
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
COOB Hexagon 7.
Scoop came in today. Arrived quickly ... 2 days. Seems solid. Non welded edges are a little rough but, no biggie.
Handle mount is smooth inside, no burs to grind. See how it preforms in a few days. Gonna use a wood handle for now.

20180912_141521.jpg
just a tad over 2lbs

20180912_141558.jpg
2 holes in the handle mount

20180912_141622.jpg
welds look solid

20180912_141804.jpg
7mm holes

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
COOB Hexagon 7.
Scoop came in today. Arrived quickly ... 2 days. Seems solid. Non welded edges are a little rough but, no biggie.
Handle mount is smooth inside, no burs to grind. See how it preforms in a few days. Gonna use a wood handle for now.

View attachment 1631411
just a tad over 2lbs

View attachment 1631415
2 holes in the handle mount

View attachment 1631416
welds look solid

View attachment 1631417
7mm holes

You'll be happy ! I am with mine. Wood handles are cheap, have an extra ,change every season/year. I'd like carbon fiber but they cost almost as much as the scoop.

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the NEW RTG scoop, Light slim and badass, made aluminum Howie approved.

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another vote for the Stealth scoop. I have the 720i and they were incredibly helpful and friendly on the phone. Plus...can't beat the lifetime warranty.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
FYI all LCRA water and parks are off limits to metal Detecting , LAKE TRAVIS falls under LCRA sorry to give you bad news.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread